II Rhaenys' P.O.V

Start from the beginning

When Viserys eagerly accepted my invitation, a pang of guilt tugged at my heart. Manipulating my cousin in such a way didn't sit right with me, but then I remembered the mess he had made of the political situation we found ourselves in. This was his mess to clean up, and if a little manipulation was what it took to set things right, then so be it.

As I prepared for the dinner, a sense of determination filled me. This was my chance to sway Viserys to our cause, to ensure that he remained steadfast in his support of Rhaenyra and the Blacks. I couldn't afford to let sentimentality or guilt cloud my judgment, not when the fate of the realm hung in the balance. And so, as I sat across from Viserys at the dinner table, savoring the fine food and wine, I knew that I had to tread carefully. Every word, every gesture had to be calculated, designed to sway him to our side without arousing suspicion. It was a delicate dance, but one that I was willing to perform if it meant securing victory for our cause.

During the dinner with Viserys, I carefully planted the seeds of doubt in his mind, subtly weaving my words to provoke a reaction. When the topic of our shared grandchildren arose, I slyly remarked how relieved I was that the rumors of their bastardy had finally been put to rest. I knew it would strike a nerve with Viserys, and sure enough, his anger simmered just beneath the surface.

But I wasn't finished yet. I seized the opportunity to voice my discomfort with Otto's presence at the Red Keep, citing his past accusations against Rhaenyra as evidence of his unsuitability. It was a risky move, but one that paid off when Viserys acquiesced to my request the following day, sending Otto back to Oldtown.

Alicent was undoubtedly displeased by my actions, and I could feel her icy glare burning into me from across the throne room. But I knew that I had done what was necessary to protect Rhaenyra and our cause. Otto's influence over Viserys was too great to be ignored and allowing him to remain at the Red Keep would have posed a significant threat to our plans. As I watched Otto depart, a sense of satisfaction washed over me. Despite losing the favor I had recently earned from the Queen, I knew that I had made the right decision. The safety and security of our family were paramount, and if that meant sacrificing my own standing with the Queen, then so be it.

In the end, the good outweighed the bad. Otto's departure had removed a significant obstacle from our path, bringing us one step closer to victory in the struggle for the Iron Throne. Though, it did come with rapid consequences. It came as no surprise to me when I learned that Alicent had attempted to sow discord between Aemond and me. But her efforts were in vain, for the bond that had formed between Aemond and me during our time together in the Stormlands would be hard to break.

Despite Alicent's best efforts, I continued to spend time with Aemond, taking him and Daeron flying with me on Meleys, as their hatchlings were still young to take the boys into the skies. In those moments, all thoughts of politics and intrigue faded away, replaced by the simple joy of flight and the bond shared between dragon and rider. No matter how hard Alicent tried to tear us apart, she could never break the bond that united us. But Aemond and Daeron were not the only ones with whom I shared the skies. I also flew side by side with Helaena on Dreamfyre, her blue scales shimmering in the sunlight as we danced through the clouds. And on occasion, I joined Aegon and Sunfyre on their flights, the wind whipping through my hair as we raced across the sky.

Poor Aegon, he was a mess that someone needed to fix, and I was more than willing to take on the task. It was clear to me that Aegon had no desire for the crown, nor for the burdens that came with it. All he wanted was to be left alone with his wine, and I could certainly arrange that.

I had observed Cassandra Baratheon closely. The girl was as strong-willed as any Baratheon, with a fierce determination to carve out her own path in life. She had no interest in being anyone's lady-wife or queen-consort—she wanted power and autonomy, to be a regent in her own right with no man dictating her actions. And with Aegon by her side, she could achieve just that.