21 | "will you marry me?"

Start from the beginning

"But when I saw her, she was saying some dramatic vamp lines. You know stuff like 'I will have him.. no one can snatch him from me..', and I don't know.. but those hit me like a bullet. And it wasn't the lines, it was the woman who said it."

I gulped.
The stress, gradually releasing.
He wasn't going to abandon me before a hundred people, it seemed.
Or would he?
Would he just say it was a cruel joke and end it?

He went on,
"Even with that.. you know dark lipstick, dramatic make up and dusky skin tone.. the woman was insanely beautiful. Like.. literally a goddess."

He paused, the smile on his face widening.

"Funny how her character now is definitely a goddess.", He said,
"Mother goddess, to be very particular."

All eyes suddenly turned towards me.
Obviously.
The flag bearer of being a mother and a goddess.
Me, it is.

I sat in bated breath.

"Well, here is the confession.. to the woman who was, is and will always be the love of my life.", He added.

"I love you, Miss Rupali Ganguly."

There was silence for moments, and then the whole place broke into an orchestra of claps. I heard Adhik, Sagar and Gaurav cheer like India had won the World Cup.
One second, did Alpana ji just take evil eyes off him with "thu thu thu"?
I turned to find my own mother do exactly that.

This was planned?
I turned back towards the stage.
Stunned, out of words, unable to figure out what just happened.

Did my boyfriend just confess about our secret illicit affair BEFORE THE WHOLE WORLD?!
The media would go bonkers.
I just knew it.

"And I will always love you. It doesn't matter if you play the vamp or the heroine. Whether you have this fame or you don't. Even if you decide to dump me and find love in someone else, I would still love you. And this love is not a burden on your shoulders. It is not a favour that I have done to you.", He said.

I could hear the tremor in his voice, the eyes behind those shades, I knew they held back tears.

"I have not waited for you, or loved you for a decade for you to be grateful to me. I have loved you because it is my habit. There is no one else I could love. There is no one else I can replace you with. And there is no one else who can have my heart the way you do.", He said, and gulped.

"You are not the woman of my dreams..", He added with an amused grin, "Trust me.. I never thought I would fall in love with someone like you. I guess my type was more of Anupamaa. Less with words, soft, gentle and submissive.. and then there is you. Upfront bossy, dominating on choice and, as you love to say, a mess."

A tear rolled down the corner of my eyes.
I sat frozen, wishing this moment lasted forever.

"You are not the woman of my dreams for sure.", He said, removing his shades finally,
"You are my destiny."

I stared at him.
On the brink of a "happy" breakdown.

"And I know, maybe this is a little early.. I should have consulted before doing this.. but.. it's fine if you want to say a no. It will be fine if you want to take time and walk away. I will still be here, waiting for you.", He added, his voice turning into a whisper.

There was a momentary pause.

And then I stood up.
I heard the audience break into another cheer.
The shades slipped down from his hands, as he stared at me.
I could tell he was on the brink of tears too.

"Say it in Bangla! Then I will accept it!", I shouted at him from below the stage.
His tensed lips broke into an amused smile.

The world seemed to have numbed.
It was just both of us.
Both of us entangled into the most beautiful moment of our lives.

He held up his mic to his face, "Ami tomake bhalobashi.", He said, the accent definitely a miss.
But the emotions, perfectly in place.
"And?"
He pulled out a ring from under his coat.

He went down on one knee, before a hundred people and cameras, on the stage.

"Tumi.. ki.. amake.. biye korbe?", He asked, half embarrassed with himself,
"Will you marry me?", He asked again.

There was a pause.
And then, lifting my gown, almost like Cinderella, I ran up the staircase to the stage.
He stood up. The mic in one hand.

Almost blind sighted, I simply wrapped my arms around his body, stood on my toes.

And pulled him into a kiss.

Before a hundred people.
Without a care in the world.

He had not expected it.
For moments he remained frozen, and then ultimately gave in.
We kissed, like it was our first.

And then we parted, panting for breath. Faces red, blushing away.
I placed my hand before him.
He immediately slipped the ring into my finger.

"Thank you.", He whispered, teary eyed.
"Thank you for accepting my destiny?", I asked, letting my tears slide.

I wished I could stop the moment for us.
I wrapped an arm around his neck and pulled his head down, forehead against mine.
Catching up our breath, almost defeaned by our pacing hearts.

"I love you too Sudhanshu.", I whispered.
He gulped, inhaling deeply.

I looked up, into his light brown eyes,
"And I will always love you. I left you at the temple.. that was my greatest regret. But I won't leave you now. Not ever. Next time you pull off a clownery like Silvassa I am going to pinch you so hard.. you'll see.", I whispered.
He edged away, looking at me.
"Accepted.", He whispered, taking my hand, the one that now had his beautiful diamond ring, and kissed it.

"You own me now. Do whatever you want.", He added.
"I only want to love you as long as I live.", I said, honestly.
"That's my good fortune.", He whispered with a soft smile.

Probably I won't have a panic attack because of men with mic, again.

•••

Drop in your views! 🥹