Letter #13

Dear Eli,

You cannot understand how relieved I was to receive your letter and hear from Victoria that your recovery is going well. She told me that the two of you sat down to talk about some things and that you now know a little more about our family history. I know you have more questions, and I am willing to provide the answers, though I cannot guarantee that you will like what you hear.

Yet I do hope that it might go someway to rebuild the trust we had.

I am glad that the letters are the same for you as they are for me. Without them, I'm not sure where I would be. They offer me the same comfort you described and are able to lift my spirits from the depths in a way I never expected. Knowing there is someone out there who wants to talk to me makes the day easier to bear.

In much the same way as you, I too was saddened that our letters would cease during your recovery — though the news that you were, in fact, recovering, overtook that. When Victoria offered to be that go between, I all but jumped at the chance to continue communicating with you before we could finally meet. It was a relief to know that our letters don't have to end just yet.

Even after we meet, I hope we can still write these letters.

After reading back over your letters, I like the idea of meeting at the pond. Victoria said it was a secluded place that would give us the peace we need to have a conversation that won't be overheard. She also said it was one of your favourite places and I don't think you have had the chance to go since your attack. It seems as good a place as any.

Victoria can arrange it for us.

I hope to meet you soon.

Yours,

Samuel

~~~

First Published - April 21st, 2024