Chapter 3 - First Contact

No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force.

- Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
____________________________________

Southeastern Coast
Kingdom of Aizincurt
6th Cycle of the Moon, 1210

Over the bright blue ocean below, Wyvern Airman Henri DuPont, or Henri by his comrades in his squadron, gazes down the scenic view of Aizincurt's South East Coast. Below him, he can see carriages traveling down a dirt path and small fishing boats near the beach. Nearby, a small village can be seen with cloumns of smoke coming from chimneys and fireplaces.

Just down the dirt road, lie the Port City of Mykanir, one of the largest port town within the Vakkaria continent. It is the main trading hub for merchants coming from the rest of the First, Second, and Third continents.

The sun was shining bright and the sky was clear blue. The relaxing feeling of the warm breeze of the wind felt calm and nurturing. However, with the rising tensions between them and their northern neighbor, the Germanian Empire, he can help but keep himself awake.

A few weeks ago, the Germanian Empire had begun mobilization and are now threatening the borders of the alliance. Everyone, be it a civilian, a soldier, or a government official, were panicking.

Currently, Germania is a major power on the continent, with a large and well-equipped army, a formidable navy, and a powerful wyvern force. Compared to them, Aizincurt is under-strength and inexperienced but they are well-equipped with excellent weapons. The Kingdom's last war was in 1078 but that war was almost two centuries ago and it was only against insurgents who were against the crown so it doesn't count as one.

Not only that, Germania has begun armed exercises throughout the waters of the continent. Although small, it was preventing merchant ships from entering many ports in the kingdom. Like his commanding officer said about them; they're being assholes for the sake of being assholes.

As of now, the government hasn't made any response to their aggression. As such, many were wondering what to do should the war begins and they surrender. DuPont was among those who were wondering what to do if they lose.

"Bureaucracy at its finest..." DuPont mockingly said. "Fucking elves and dwarves... taking everything that we made from our own sweat and blood..."

Sighing in frustration, DuPont turns his wyvern back to base. But out of nowhere, his wyvern partner suddenly began crawing. His partner's eyes blinking like its sending a morse code message though blinking. However, DuPont didn't know morse code.

"What is it partner?" DuPont asked. His partner then points its snout towards the direction to open ocean, which confused DuPont. "Why are you pointing towards the ocean? Nothing's there but water."

Rolling its eyes, the wyvern suddenly turned to the direction it pointed and increased speed. DuPont was shaken as his partner has never done something like this. "What in the Jackrabbit's hell are you doing? We need to get back, partner!"

However, the wyvern didn't listened and kept its flight path straight to open ocean. DuPont tried to pull the leash but it wasn't working. Then after doing it a few times, he stops and just sighed. "Fine then! If you want to go there, go! But once we return, I'll be taking your food!"

The wyvern's eyes rolled and continued on. For a few minutes, they continued to the direction to open ocean. This frustrated DuPont even more as nothing has appeared yet. But as DuPont was about try a second try to get his partner back to base, he sees a small dot in the distance.