Chapter 3

The next morning, Harepaw awakens and stretches in her nest, accidentally nudging Ravenpaw. She pauses for a moment, but a smile graces her face when she sees his peaceful expression. Gently, she places her paw against his, gazing at him thoughtfully. Ravenpaw is both charming and handsome, that much is undeniable, but his self-doubt often overshadows his qualities. Harepaw is unsure of what to do next. She can't just chatter to Bluestar without Ravenpaw's input.

As the morning sun begins to stream into the den, Harepaw sits up. Around her, other apprentices like Graypaw are stirring, and even the usually irritable Dustpaw and Sandpaw are present. Everyone wakes slowly but surely, and the golden, sleek she-cat, Sandpaw, fixes her gaze on Harepaw. "What are you doing up so early?" Sandpaw snarls, her tail flicking irritably.

Harepaw glances over at Ravenpaw, who has now awakened, but he remains in his nest, his nose buried in the moss. His side, which had been scratched and covered with cobwebs and blood, still dripped slightly. Sandpaw noticed the two sitting together and scoffed, "You and that little mouse, hmm?" She stood up and began grooming herself.

Harepaw rolled her eyes and stood up, stretching before exiting the den. She almost walked straight into Whitestorm's chest. "Oh, apologies," she mewed. Whitestorm purred, "No reason to apologize, little friend," before nudging her toward the fresh-kill pile. "Go have some food. I overheard Lionheart saying he's going to train you quite hard today."

Harepaw nodded and walked over to the fresh-kill pile, selecting a small chaffinch before settling down in the shade of a root, anticipating that Graypaw would soon follow. True to her expectations, Graypaw emerged shortly after, a mouse clutched in his jaws. He dropped it by his paws and snuggled up against Harepaw, beginning to groom her fur.

"You and Ravenpaw seem to be getting closer every day. Is there something wrong with him?" he asked after a brief pause, his voice tinged with concern.

Harepaw looked up from her chaffinch. "No, not really. Or, I can't really say. You'd have to ask him yourself," she replied.

Graypaw hummed thoughtfully and began to eat his mouse, the matter seemingly settled for the moment.

They sat quietly for a few more minutes until Lionheart approached and nudged Harepaw. "Come on, we'd better get going," he said. Harepaw twitched an ear, "I haven't finished eating," she started to protest, but the familiar gray-blue fur of Bluestar soon came into view, and she quickly sat up.

"Bluestar," she whispered, reverence in her tone. Graypaw did the same, the respect evident in his posture. The gray-blue she-cat nodded at them.

"Hello, apprentices. I see you've woken up early," Bluestar greeted, her voice carrying a gentle authority.

Harepaw nodded. "Yes, I thought I'd wake up early to train," she said. Bluestar nodded in approval, then flicked her tail. "Let's go," she commanded. Turning swiftly, Bluestar led the way, bounding through the thorn tunnel and out into the forest, with Harepaw, Ravenpaw, and Lionheart following closely at her heels.