15 | ad meliora

27/02/2024

9:08 p.m.

I have just faced the worst day of my life. Yes, Andrei was here. I avoided him as much as I could, locked myself in the room and pretended to play Roblox, but Alan brought him upstairs. Again, I avoided eye contact and continued my own business, but Alan went downstairs to get some snacks and that brat cornered me.

He told me that by next week, he'll be branded as Caperwood's next hero. He called me a piece of worthless flesh, a useless human, a burden for my family. I controlled my tears because he used my emotions against me. But he threatened to finish me off after he became a superhero, making sure that the world would forget my existence.

I don't know what to do or who to tell. Can you believe, the son of the most heroic family is being bullied? His actions are making me more confused. Last week, SPA Romine told me permanent shape-shifting is not a possible service at the moment. I thought that I had no more choice left except to get thrashed by Andrei.....But she gave me an idea that could possibly end all of my problems, and even better, save me from getting killed. It's still confusing, I haven't said anything to her, I still don't know whether it is the decision...

Should I kill Andrei?

~ 1 month later ~

Adrius reposed his bandaged forehead on Arabella's lap as she began stroking his arms. Beside them, a worn-out Pristine sat idly, accommodating space in her shoulder for Arabella to rest her head.

They had been exhausted by the day's events – running to see the doctors, buying new medications, paying for the bills and bringing food, ultimately taking the job of an adult. Before them was Arthur reclined on a white gurney, limbs immobile and eyes shut tight to provide absolute oblivion. The faint drips of the glucose, the sighing of the ventilator and the glowing graph of the heart monitor where the only things that appeared to be living.

The dim light of the hospital room once again reminded the dullness of life and lack of spirit the teens were facing. Arthur had been sent into a peaceful slumber, medically known as coma, whereas Adrius had suffered major head injuries due to the accident, slowly recovering from the pain and trauma.

The siblings and Pristine collectively took care of the bruised brothers, whereas the frantic mother and woebegone father tended to their monstrous son's aid in the magical world.

Izra's ultimate use of an ancient magic had resulted in mental retardation, causing Avril to forget his memories and making him an unruly lunatic. The parents suffered the torment of hell for their wrongdoing as they watched the Pandorian psychiatrists struggling to tame a wild Avril.

Life had undergone a whirlpool of destruction, especially for the superhero family. While Avril was treated for his brain impairment and Arthur was treated for the unpromising coma, the mundane world had freed the shackles they had tied over Pristine.

Romine was soon caught by the Etherial cops, which eventually led to the obliteration of her magical powers by the Pandorian Defense Unit. After long negotiations and sincere appeals, Hemant, the SPA, had managed to forge a new CCTV evidence that depicted Romine killing Andrei, thus handing her over to the Caperwood cops.

This did not mean that Avril had escaped imprisonment. The Pandorian government had decided to imprison Avril as soon as his memories returned, no matter who pleaded or bribed them. At the end of the day, what Avril had done was a crime; excuses that he was 'possessed' would not work, at least in the magical realm.

"How is Mrs. Alteiner?" Pristine broke the silence as she encircled her arms around her enervated friend.

"Worse," Arabella exhaled, as her mother's frantic condition flashed in her brain.

"She claims that she is the cause of her sons doomed fate. She keeps weeping when she sees Arthur and begs us to forgive her, when we never blamed her. Apparently, when she left Pandora for her love, she was cursed by her parents that the mundane world would kill her happiness and contentment. She believes the curse is the reason for the trauma we are facing."

Izra as the heiress of Pandora was the biggest shock of their lives, however, they never had the time to digest the fact, making the hot news slide into the ambience.

"That's how a mother feels," Pristine understood her concern, "We can't help it..."

"I agree... I just wish none of this ever happened," a slight sob escaped the twin's lips as she clutched Pristine's arms.

"Don't lament on the past Ara, there is nothing you can do about it..."

"Unless you bring a time traveling machine from Pandora..."

The lame jest had coped up the mood, managing a subtle smile from the distraught elder sister. Pristine grinned to herself; making someone smile would be the greatest feat a human could, more than fighting a monster.

The door pushed open as Alan entered the room, clasping Abigail's hand tighter as he handed over the sandwiches to Pristine and Arabella, keeping Adrius' near him as he walked towards the opposite set of metal chairs and seated themselves.

Pristine and Alan had bare conversations for the past month, they had been busy rebuilding the family and tending to others needs. However, a simple eye lock was enough for them to convey invisible words, connecting their despaired hearts.

As Pristine reminisced their endless arguments, their concern for each other, the silent conversations and their invisible support for each other, Arabella scattered her thoughts.

"Do you know about that Blake guy case? Our classmate in middle school?"

"The one who poisoned himself?" Pristine took a large bite of the sandwich, her eyes taking surreptitious glances of Alan, who helped Abigail remove the wrapper.

Why does he look cute all of a sudden...

"Apparently, he's also a victim of Andrei's bullying. Cops are revealing the reports now."

"The Lawsons must have bribed them."

"For sure. Anyways, I am glad he died, seriously! He bullied my brother, making him a criminal!"

"Really, Ara," Pristine smiled.

"Moreover, I am glad that you never proposed to him. Imagine he had accepted and we never knew his other side..."

"That would be awful."

"Don't worry, you'll find someone else soon," Arabella nudged, thinking that she had solaced her friend.

"Yes," A faint smile escaped Pristine as she glimpsed Alan, who was now projecting weird faces, making Abigail laugh freely. Alan caught her staring, making Pristine flush in bright hues of red as he winked in response.

"Someone far better than Andrei..."

~ the end ~