Chapter 1: Twisted Fates

I've never fallen in love, I always felt like it's just not for me. I'm not meant to love, I'm barely even meant to live. It's an honest surprise I'm still alive and no one's tried to murder me. Well, succesfully that is.

My name is Kyle Amrie, I'm currently a Junior in high school. School's a breeze, the only real problem is the people. You have all of these fake, egotistical children who are trying to figure out who they truly are and what do you do with them? You stick em in rooms for hours on end and force them to interact with each other. It's quite stupid really, but it's necessary… to a point.

So the school  year is starting soon, and I'm surprisingly nervous. You see… there's this boy, he calls himself-

"John Tanner, that's my name. You don't have to call me by pronouns."

Ok, so I didn't need to include all that, but that's how he introduced himself. We met on a cruise last year during Winter Break and we talked for a while and realized we were from the same place. But, different schools. And now… he's coming to my school! Great isn't it? Well, not entirely. Sure, he's drop dead gorgeous but he's a bit too "emotional"? No, I wouldn't say emotional but somewhere along those lines.

While we were on this cruise he, well we, kissed. It was nothing crazy, just a New Year's kiss but I'm pretty sure he thought of it as much more. I didn't want to be rude and tell him that a kiss is sometimes just that, a kiss. The media has given it some stupid sort of deeper meaning. It's not an everlasting bond formed by love. It's something formed by two horny teens trying to release some sexual repression. It's a shame he doesn't see it that way.

And now, he's standing only 15 feet in front of me in the food court of my local mall. He looks away from his friends and must see me in the corner of his vision. I pretend to be looking down at my phone, texting friends. After all, they're supposed to be here by now. I don't want to have to see this movie all by myself!

I'm texting my friends when, not only do I see but, I feel John approaching me with his collected suave. He's in my peripheral vision and god he's even more of a God than when I last saw him. He's grown a considerable amount and he seems to be even beefier. I kissed him? Damn, I did good.

Oh shit, he's here. Oh no, he's pulling out a chair! Do I acknowledge him? No, let him do the talking. What should I say? Quick, something witty!

"Hey, it's Kyle isn't it?" He asks me with his rich voice. Oh yeah, nice move pretend you don't remember me just so you don't seem so interested. That's so third grade.

"Yeah, how do you know me?" I ask, looking up slowly. What an idiot! You did it too Kyle, what happened to being witty?! Damnit, you could've said something like:"Yep, that's the name don't wear it out."
Ok, I guess it's good you didn't say that…

"We uh- I don't know. Do you maybe remember?" He asks, keeping up his stupid little act. I mentally roll my eyes, two can play this game.

"Oh no, sorry I think it's just a coincidence. Um, nice meeting you…" I say, pretending to pretend that I'm not freaked out, but making it super obvious I was. If that even makes sense…

I walk off with my phone in my hand. If he wants me, he'll chase me.

But… he doesn't. I keep walking, I feel kind of disappointed? Maybe he truly doesn't remember me. Wow, if that's true then I feel like an idiot.
You're so embarrassing Kyle, can't you accept the world doesn't revolve around you? Get a life Kyle, no one even likes you. I suddenly feel the cold of the mall, making me feel so much more isolated. I notice the ice cream shop I'd always get ice cream from as a child is to my left. I turn, I might as well eat my feelings. And then probably think about running because I feel like a fatty. And after that, don't run because of some dumb reason- like your small toe suddenly hurts. So, you eat even more ice cream because you obviously deserve it. Thus starting the cycle all over again.

"'Ello mate, nice to meet ya. Welcome to…" The cashier says enthusiastically-with a hot Australian accent- until he forgets the rest of the line.

I chuckle lightly before finishing the line for him,"Frosty Cups' Creamery, where every Frosty Cup spreads a happy smile!"

He looks at me with embarrassment and says playfully,"Wow, you must come here often."

I reply with a hint of sass and truth,"Well, when you have emotions it works best to eat them out. Preferably with Ice Cream."

He walks over to the ice cream and I follow."Words to live by right there, so which flavor would ya like to take away your emotions?"

I immediately want to reply,"Your d*** down my throat would be best."

But instead I decide to be a normal human being and tell him,"Cotton Candy please."

"And what size of cup?" He asks looking at me with these dark brown eyes.

"Um, do you have a tub?" I ask sarcastically, but he looks at me like I'm serious.

"Oh no! I'm just joking with you! I'll have a medium!" I add when I see the look that spreads on his face. He smiles with relief and puts a couple of scoops into the cup.

He walks back over to the cash register, types some stuff in, and tells me,"That'll be 5 dollars and 98… what are they called? Those little 'c' things with a line down the middle?"

"Cents haha! Yeah I-" I say before another voice cuts me off.

"I got it." The voice says, prompting me to look to my left and see John holding out a ten dollar bill.

"Ok…" the cashier says, accepting the bill and putting it in the cash register. His face looked defeated, like he'd just been shot down. I would totally hug him if I knew him.

"Keep the change." John says kindly when the cashier tries to give him the change back. The cashier gives me the receipt and my ice cream.

"Thank you." I say softly to him before turning to leave.

"That was… nice. Why'd you do that?" I ask John, looking up at him.

"So you wouldn't get mad if I did something." He replies, stopping in his tracks. I stop too and look up at him with a confused gaze. Did he forget how to walk? Oh boy, he's probably one of those people who stops in the middle of the hallway during passing periods. Ugh, why?!

"What?" I ask before he moves his head closer to mine, it's so fast I figure out what's going on once his lips are actually on mine. Ooh, he's a better kisser too. Man, did he evolve? God damn, he's really good.

Our lips move with each other in perfect sync until he moves away.

"John…" I say softly, looking into his green eyes with something I can't describe.

"You do remember me." He says with a smug grin.

"So do you." I reply, the sass is now back.

He laughs, and I melt. He has those laughs where his grin spreads from each side of his face to the other and his eyes look like little teardrops. Ok, so maybe we are a slight bit compatible.

Don't worry, it's not love or anything.