𝑘𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑑𝑎𝑦𝑠⁰⁸

Começar do início

Celia nodded. "Looking forward to it. Is the press conference tomorrow too?"

"No, it's the day after," Dan answered. "We want to give you time to practice before facing the media. The FIA approved a fun event for you and Max to go head-to-head around our track for one lap."

"I don't think it's just for fun. The media is going to look for ways to embarrass me," Celia replied skeptically. "What can I learn in one day?"

"You'll do great, Lia. You already know everything," Max reassured her. "And don't worry, we'll practice as much as you need."

"Oh, and next week we have the ByBit Gala," Dan reminded them. "This will be your first time meeting all our sponsors, and they have even moved up the gala to welcome you into the family as soon as possible."

"That sounds like a lot," Celia replied with a nervous shudder, thinking about everything that was lined up. "The next few weeks are going to be hectic."

"Yes, but it's part of the F1 life, as you know," Christian replied. Celia hummed knowingly.

"Mama, Dada, look I'm doing it!" Harper's excited voice interrupted, drawing their attention to her kart slowly accelerating.

"You're doing great, sweetie!" Celia cheered, sharing a proud glance with Max.

Christian then turned to Celia and Max. "Didn't you two used to be karting buddies?"

Celia laughed sarcastically. "Oh, I wouldn't say we were buddies. Max used to hate me."

Max shot her an offended look. "No, I did not!"

"Don't lie," Celia retorted, rolling her eyes. "You were so mean to me, especially after losing to me."

"I barely lost, so I wasn't mean often then," Max countered, a hint of cockiness in his tone.

"You never talked nicely to me, even when I tried to be friends with you," Celia accused. "And remember when you tried to convince Charles to stop being friends with me?"

Max struggled to respond. "Well, that was..."

"Exactly," Celia interrupted, smirking. "You were mean to me for no reason."

"Well, I stopped being mean to you later, didn't I?" Max retorted, prompting another eye roll from Celia.

"Yeah, that was only because of all the team-building exercises the VAR Team made us do when we signed on for F3," Celia scoffed. "Otherwise, I bet you'd still hate me."

"I never hated you, Lia," Max replied, his voice softening. Celia turned to meet his eyes as he continued, "You were just my biggest rival when it came to karting, and my dad didn't like me losing, let alone to a girl. So I kept my distance, to not piss him off."

Celia's expression softened too as she remembered Jos's harsh words to Max - calling him a failure, saying he'll never succeed and whatnot. They fell into silence as the reminisced about their karting days until Christian interrupted.

"Oh, um, I think I'm getting a call," Christian cleared his throat, signaling Dan to follow him as he walked away from the two.

"When was the last time you talked to Jos?" Celia inquired after a brief silence.

Max cleared his throat before responding, "Not too long ago. He still calls after every race to tell me everything I did wrong."

"So, he hasn't changed," Celia scoffed. "I don't know why I thought he might've. I mean, you're a two-time world champion. Why do you even listen to him still?"

"He's my dad, Lia," Max replied defensively. "And all his tough training is why I am as good as I am now. I can't deny he made me everything I am."

"No need to get defensive, Max," Celia shrugged. "I'm just saying, he's the one who makes you second-guess your achievements. Not everything is about how you could've done better. Sometimes you should just pat yourself on the back and be proud of what you've achieved, you know?"