Feigning Ignorant

Diamond POV

I woke up several times to the snores of my roommate. He is a freshman and talks to me as if I was his coursemate.

This time, it was already morning, 6:00am. I climbed down my bed and shook my head before I walked into the bathroom.

I took my bath and walked back into the room to dress up and leave for my morning class.

“Diamond, do you have soap? I forgot mine at home, can you please give me yours for today," my roommate pleaded.

I ignored him and continued dressing up. After I was done dressing, I took my backpack before I raised my gaze to stare at him. “Whatever your name is, I don't care, but don't call my name as if I am your mate! I bet if you have an older brother, I am three years older than him,” I said before I left.

“Please, let me use your soap this once.”

Even though I ignored him, I still heard his voice for one last time. I walked down the stairs and before I knew it I was out of my hotel building.

I thought it was going to be easy, but it was the worst. Just a day in and I am already fed up. My roommate is immature, disturbs me and always rants at every chance he has gotten.

I suffered a lot last night. He talks a lot and when he decides to shut his mouth is only when he falls asleep. Even in his sleep, he kept snoring nonstop, jeez!

“Oh my goodness… I have to hurry up,” I said as I checked the wristwatch. It is almost thirty minutes before the class begins.

I began running to the class so as to be at the front seat. Each time I sat in the middle or back row, I ended up not understanding anything in that class.

While running, I caught a glimpse of Desmond. Reminded of what transpired between us four days ago, I cover my face awkwardly with my baseball cap.

I increased my speed until I arrived at the class. I walked into the class without wasting a second.

“Man, are you offering Business in relation to accountancy?”

A familiar voice made me jerk off my thoughts. I raised my gaze to stare at him, amused about what he meant. “What did you mean? I thought International Business Management would be held in this class in thirty minutes?” I asked in amusement.

Benson, my close coursemate, burst into laughter at my words. “Man, the class is already cancelled. The man went to Country F to visit his family. His first son is celebrating his fifteen years old birthday,” he informed me.

I bit my lips at his words. There was no way I wouldn't end up meeting Desmond in this class. Without a second thought, I stood up and left for the backseat.

Since Desmond was a fan of the front seat just like me, I believed we wouldn't see each other.

The lecture took longer than I thought. He gave credits to Desmond, making me smile for an unknown reason. I used to think of him as a carefree guy, never did I expect him to turn out to be the best accounting student.

After the lecturer gave his assignment, the student began to walk out. I joined the crowd that was walking out inorder not to get noticed by Desmond.

The moment I came out, I began running again. I knew Desmond was still in the class. He loves staying back to study what he didn't understand, maybe that is what made the best in his department.

Thinking about how we became friends was still awkward to me. At first, we were bitter enemies because I came to take his place. We are the complete opposite of each other. But that did stop us from becoming friends when we became closer. We relied on each other and made sure none of us fell.

“Diamond,” I heard my name the moment I arrived at the front of my hostel building.

My heart stung at the call of my name. I knew the person who called me was no other person but Desmond.

“Desmond, what are you doing here?” Unable to think of any words, that was the first thing that came to my mind: my curiosity.

Desmond chuckled at my words before he walked up to me. I took a step backward, afraid of what next he might do. Kiss me? Pin me down and make me feel strange?

Gawd! Thinking about the kiss made me feel stupid. I know it wasn't right to be immersed in what happened, but I just couldn't forget about my first kiss. His lips were soft and sweet at the same time.

“Am I not the one who is supposed to ask that question?”  He asked. His voice sounded different from the Desmond I used to know.

“Oh… I am sorry I couldn't tell you. My mom decided that I stay in the hostel for the meantime. I am just living here for a little time,” I replied, making sure I did not sound suspicious or otherwise. I made sure to be me: cold and always careful with my words.

He heaved a sigh before he began. “I am sorry about what happened last night. I really meant what I said and what I did.”

“What do you mean? Attending my birthday party? Haha, don't sound ridiculous,” I chuckled, feigning ignorance at what happened.

His eyes blinked in awe at my words. From his expression, I found it hard to conclude whether he was sad about it or happy.

“You don't remember anything? I thought you weren't drunk last night,” he said, disappointment laced in his voice.

“Haha, I was. Maybe you were too drunk to notice. Besides, I can't believe a first timer remembered everything that happened,” I said as if I truly didn't remember.

Somehow, I missed Desmond. I just hope things won't turn out the way Priscilla said.