chapter 2

My father was the one shacking me. Trying his hardest to wake me up. My mother was already out and stretching her legs. Father extended his hand to help me out. I slowly reached out and got a firm grip on it. To a normal man or woman his skin would send ice like pain down their arms, but I've had it my whole life, so I’m use to it.

We walk up to the castle doors. The guards at the entrance stood there, looking at me. Not at my parents but at me. I could tell they were werewolves. How? They had their tails and ears out. They can do that, if they have a strong line of unbroken werewolf blood. We carried on walking on into the castle and they still watched me, like I was their food. My father told me to stay in the hall, while my mother and he go find the king. I sat down in one of the chairs in the hallway not too far away from the doors I had just walked through. I was looking up at all the paintings on the wall when the voices of the gourds came to my ears. “Did you see that human girl? She must be the one. She was with Mr. and Mrs. Leila. So it must be her.” I sat still trying to get more of what they were saying about me. “She has not been here since she was little. I bet the Prince will be happy to see her again”. “Yes he must be. After all this time. How could he be away from her and not go crazy?” I thought about what they had said and tried to remember if I had ever seen the Prince before in my life. No, I don't think I have, I've never even met the king. Let alone the Prince.

They carried on talking, most probably because they thought I wasn't listening or wasn't there anymore. “Do you think she knows? Or if she's been told something other than what this is?” they both stood still as more werewolves came in through the doors. The werewolves came in and walked passed me. The tallest one looked at me and nodded his head while the other four just looked and turned their heads back to the way they were walking. I turned back to the guards but more werewolves had come through the doors so they didn't say anything. By the time all the werewolves had passed through into the hall and gone off to where ever it is they went to, my mother and father had come back, and with them a tall man wearing royal blue clothes. The one thing that put him in place to be the king was the crown on top of his head. Emily came and stood by my side, while Edwin stood by the king.

The king smiled as Emily introduced me. “This is our Renee, as you know. Is not she beautiful?” My mother never bothered with the formal stuff. She and the king had been friends since they were about eight years old. I did a small bow of my head (So not to seem rude). The king pulled me in to a small hug. “Child, you don't know how long I’ve been waiting to see you. You have grown since I last had seen you”. My face pulled up into a confused one. “I’m sorry, but I can't remember ever meeting you before”. Both the king and my parents looked at one another with non-approved faces. “Oh never mind that now. I'm sure once you see some things you will remember when you came here”. The king clapped his hands and motioned for us to head off in the way all the werewolves had gone before. But I couldn't help but pick up my mother saying something under her voice. “Some things? More like someone”. It was unlike her to say something under her voice.

I brushed it off as we walked through the halls. Most of the way was kept going with small talk, until a voice interrupted us. The king looked at my father and then shot a small glance at me. I looked towards where the sound had come from. I looked up to a staircase to find a tall boy with black hair and what looked to be a body made of musicals. He slowly made his way down the staircase, his eyes looking at the king all the time.

When he reached to bottom he walked over to the king and the king in return put his arm around the neck of the boy. “Well, Edwin, Emily you know my son”. Both my parents nodded. The king then turned to me. “Renee, this is my son Jacob. I'm sure you two will be the best of companions”. I looked up at the same time as Jacob looked down to me. I felt like I had seen him before, but I couldn't place it. I watched as his eyes met my face. The moment his eyes found mine he seemed to be in a trance.