Two

All practice long I tried to talk to Layne

All practice long I tried to talk to Layne. To make conversation, to try and break through her wall. But every time I opened my mouth, she would glare at me, or storm off to talk to someone else. I want nothing more than to talk to her, explain why I disappeared so early back in December. I want to tell her about how I thought of her every day. Tell her about how all I wanted was to see her again and do it right this time. Take her to dinner and get to know her and then drop her off at home with a goodnight kiss on the porch.

"Seresin!" I turn at the call of my name. "Get your head out of the clouds and on the ice. We don't have all day."

"Sorry Coach!" I skate over to my starting position. I catch a glimpse of Layne's eyes on me as she shakes her head. I spent the last bit of practice thinking of how I can get Layne alone long enough to talk to her. It wasn't until everyone was leaving that I saw my chance. I was a few feet behind Layne as we were walking towards the front of the building, before she could get too far off, I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the closest empty room.

"What the.."

"Just give me five minutes."

"I'm not having this conversation with you." Layne tries to push past me but I quickly stop her.

"Denver please." I plead with her, blocking the door. "You brushed me off earlier but you can't pretend like nothing ever happened."

"I can and I will Rocky."

"HA! See you do remember me!" I rejoice in hearing the nickname she gave me.

"Jake, I need you to trust me on this." She says, looking into my eyes. "I'm not ready, I mean I am, but I've been through a lot in the last year, dating back before I ever met you. I just need time."

"Just dinner. Thats all I ask." I blurt out.

"Did you even listen to me?" Layne questions me sternly, her voice suddenly rising an octave. "I said I need time. And I mean it. So, now please leave me alone." I stand still for a moment, looking down at her. Then finally, after a silent moment I step aside and allow her to pass by me. She stops at the door and turns to offer me a smile and says, "Good luck out there tomorrow."

And then an idea popped into my head and I knew exactly what I needed to do.