Letter #10

Dear Samuel,

When I saw your letter sitting in the stream on my way home from school, I considered leaving it there amongst the flowing water and forgetting that I ever found the first letter all those weeks ago. At least then I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.

But I couldn't.

Something pulled me towards the bottle that first day and that same feeling tugged me back to it the other day. I don't know what it is, or even why I should care. You hurt me, Samuel. Yet, when I was mad at you for being so secretive, when I was frustrated at the whole situation, the only person I wanted to talk to was you.

I have never felt so alone as I have now. I have spent my life on my own, without someone I could call a friend because no one wanted to know me. Then you came along. You understood me better than I understand myself and made me view life at a different angle. I don't know what it is, but despite being mad at you, I am drawn to you.

These letters have given me something I never knew I needed. A friend. Despite everything, despite not knowing anything about your life beyond Victoria, I feel like I do know you.

I know that you look at the world through rose coloured glasses, but that it isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know that you care what makes a person who they are outside of the physical things that everyone else sees.

You see me, and I think I see you too.

The thought of not writing these letters and not hearing from you pains me more than I wish to admit. Your letters keep me going, give me new things to look at in life that I might never have considered myself. I don't know what I would do without them.

I still don't know if I'm going to send this letter, so you might never read it, but I needed to say it. Writing it down has been somewhat cathartic as I wait for the moment my life implodes on itself. If you do read this letter, do not feel as though you must reply, I don't know if it even makes sense, but I had so much in my mind that I needed to write it all down.

You were right. There is magic in words.

Yours,

Eli

~~~

First Published - April 18th, 2024