“I’m a woman, and I understand her tricks. It’s fake and a forgery of a lie. She’s a slave. What do you expect? She must have thought of it that such a lie as big as that would make you accept the child, and since you’re all so foolish, fighting a war all because of whatever it is you claim to be experimenting on her, which you have yet to find out, but have killed even an alpha of a particular nation on, tell me why she won’t do this as she’d imagine she could even be queen someday.” She inhales sharply after she’s finished.

What is she implying to them? I would never!

Kade’s eyes land back on me, and his next words hurt my insides so much that I thought I would have vomited. “Abort the child. Physician, give her something to use to get rid of that thing—or maybe those things.”

“No!”

“We took you in as a slave. Not whatever is growing inside of you.”

“I won’t accept this.”

“That’s where you’ve lost it. This isn’t a matter of whether you agree or not. It’s about what we wish for. Prepare the potion.” His last sentence is directed towards the physician, who has no choice but to agree.

“Yes, sire. I would begin right away.”

I don’t know if I should hurry to beg him. If maybe I hold his feet and beg for him to let me keep the growing baby, he would accept. Or maybe I should just stay here and not take the potion but lie that I have.

I swear, my head is starting to hurt twice as much as it did before, and it’s becoming an unbearable pain. Tears are already falling down my cheeks, and I am once again locked in the middle of two decisions.

Would I do as they wish again? Or would I do as I wish and definitely be punished by it?

How changing are these monsters? Just a second ago, they were so caring and all, but now, they’ve suddenly changed and become such a monster that I can’t even look them in the eye. It’s so brutal what they’re doing to me.

They leave the room. Emilie, Jared, the physician, and I are now alone. My face is dropped to the ground, but I hear as she comes close, her heels clicking heavily against the tiled floor.

Her well-manicured fingers help to raise my face as she smiles darkly. “You really did think you’d found a settlement, didn’t you? There would be a happy ending for someone like you, but no! Witches are monsters and are meant to suffer for every second they breathe. You know, I’m starting to like that my sons kept you.” Except there’s a flaw there. Are they really her sons, based on what I heard that day right before I awoke? “They are making you suffer, and this is just the time when I shall make it even harder for you. Just watch.” Her tone is evil and heart-shattering. Her laugh is hypocritical and fraught with danger—precarious in its wake.

“Let’s leave here, Jared.”

“Of course, Emilie.” I catch the glint in his eyes; it is beset with poison in my heart.

After they leave me alone in the room with just the physician, I begin to think of ways in which I can fake that I’ve used the potion to abort my baby without actually using it, when I see that there’s no escape for me. If I did that, they would only know that I didn’t use it and force me to use it, and that would be a worse scenario for me. I know what the triplets are capable of. They can do anything crazy to me just to make themselves happy in the wake of my sadness.

And I hate that I always forget how cruel they are.

“Here, little dove.” The physician tap me on the shoulder to cast me out of my thoughts. I blink up at him, and when I see the little bottle in his hand, I retreat.

I run to the other side of the bed and point my fingers at him. “No, I will not take that.”

He looks down at the bottle. “oh, this?” He laughs softly. “Trust me, there’s no reason to run away from me or this. This is actually medicine to treat you from having a concussion in the future.” He speaks with such calmness that one could almost trust him to be truthful. He seems so, but my mind says otherwise.

“I have no reason to trust you.”

He nods his head in agreement as he furthers, “true. I guess it’s because you have no idea who I am. I am more like you. I am a medical practitioner, and you’re a witch. We are very close in our relations, except mine is physical while yours is spiritual. I work with the body, but you work with the soul. I work with whatever the mouth of my patient describes, but you look deep into their minds. Please come, flamethrower.” He is chuckling softly at that nickname, which he’s called me.

Something inside me suddenly wants to trust him, and I follow him to another part of the room. “I want to teach you something. Something that could help such a witch as you who’s yet to gain her powers actually gain it and root your ways into becoming the queen you wish to be someday, ruling all these creatures who have come to think they are stronger than you. They are only soldiers and pawns.”

Okay, I think I’m interested in what this man is saying. I want to know the secret!