Chapter 2

I'm sitting on my bed reading emails when Marina comes out of the bathroom looking like she's at the day spa. There's one towel wrapped turban-style around her head and one around her body. She plops on her bed across the room.

"Whatcha doing?"

I look up at her for a second and then focus back on my laptop.

"Checking my email. I applied for a few summer jobs and I'm waiting for an answer. I haven't gotten one yet, but it's only been a week." I drum my fingers on my thigh and look at her again. "That's not bad is it?"

"Not necessarily." She says while unwrapping her silky black hair, basically implying that I've got no hope of getting a response.

"Whatever. I don't need a job. It's fine." I shut my laptop and put it back on the desk. "So, what are we going to do today? It's already 5pm. We could go down to the beach."

Marina gives me a "what are you talking about look" and starts brushing her hair out.

"What a boring way to start our summer. Are you crazy? We should be doing something exciting!" She puts her brush on the counter and grabs a hair dryer. "Aren't there any parties? It's Friday night and I know that I definitely wouldn't mind going to one."

"Yeah right, how would I know?" I scoff.

"Don't you come here every summer? What do you do?"

"I used to come here every summer. This is my first time back since 7th grade. I'm sure you don't want to go see PG-13 movies and go to church mixers." Marina makes a face.

"I guess you have a point. Let's just go out and see what's happening then. Okay?" She clasps her hands together and gets on her knee. "Pleeeaaaaassse!"

"Fine, but we better do something I want to do tomorrow!" I begrudgingly give in.

Marina stands up and hugs me.

"You're the best! I swear, it'll be awesome!" Her wet hair drips all over me until she lets go and picks up the hairdryer again.

~~~~~

A few hours later I'm standing by the door in strappy wedges and a floral sundress. My hair is curled and half-pinned up and my makeup is done. I reach into my purse and pull out my phone. It's already 9:30.

"Marina? Are you almost ready?"

Marina peeks out of the bathroom and holds up her pointer finger. I know that normally means one minute, but with Marina that's basically an hour.

"I'll be downstairs." I call out as I head to the kitchen. My Nonno is sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper while Nona makes tomorrow's dinner. She's going out for the weekend with her church buddies and won't be back until Sunday. Nonno can't cook for his life. Seeing this familiar scene makes my heart ache. I didn't realize how much I missed these summers.

"Oh Daisy! I didn't see you. Your mamma called, she's in London this week so you'll have to call her in the mornings only." She looks me up and down. "You look nice sweetie. Doesn't she look nice Marco?" Nonno looks up from his newspaper.

"Sì, molto bella." He grins at me and pulls out the chair next to him. Nona goes back to stirring the pasta. "You going somewhere tonight?"

"Marina and I are just going for a drive." I sit down next to him.

"Ah." He turns back to his newspaper and says, "Be careful. A pretty girl like you should be very careful."

"I will. Thanks Nonno." I stand up and kiss his cheek. Nona turns off the stove and turns to me.

Wiping her hands off on her apron she says, "You know, Ben said he was going to a bonfire on the beach. A big party to start summer." She claps her hands and smiles. "Wouldn't that be fun?"

"Maybe." I fake a small smile and hug Nona goodbye as Marina comes down the stairs. "Ciao!"

I drag Marina out the door before she can start talking to my grandparents. She took long enough to get ready. There's no need to wait another hour.

"Okay." I turn to Marina once we've gotten into the car. "I was thinking that we could go down to the boardwalk and get some ice cream. There's a great movie theater a few blocks away. It shows the best classic films."

I sit and wait for an answer.

"Daisy, I really hope that you're not purposely avoiding that bonfire." She deadpans.

I jump in my seat.

"Um what? No... I..."

"I overheard your Nona. There's no way we're not going. You yourself said that tonight was my choice."

"What? I never-" Marina cuts me off and holds up her finger.

"It's what I heard." She sits back and buckles her seat belt. "So, which way is party?"