✎ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"physically assaulting another student is unacceptable. this school has no tolerance for physical violence."

avalon fought back the urge to roll her eyes as she and mattheo sat across from the headmaster. she avoided looking at the boy next to her, as one look at his bandaged nose and bruised cheek would be more than enough to cause an uncontrollable fit of laughter. really, she did quite a number on the boy.

mattheo sat up and sneered, "she should be expelled, professor dumbledore."

dumbledore turned to the dark haired boy, raising an eyebrow, "i was referring to both of you, mr. riddle. as i recall, you were the one who initiated physical contact."

the smirk was wiped off mattheo's face, making it even harder for avalon to keep it together. "i spilled a bit of butterbeer on her and she nearly breaks my nose. she overreacted."

"spilled a bit of butterbeer?" avalon repeated, appalled by the boy's utter audacity. "you grabbed my wrist as i was trying to walk away and poured the entire bottle over my head."

mattheo rolled his eyes. "well, it didn't actually cause physical harm."

"i could have gone blind if enough had gone into my eyes," the girl objected.

dumbledore cleared his throat, causing both third years to be silent. avalon became anxious as the professor thought silently for a few moments. while it felt good seeing the boy's bruised nose every time they crossed paths, she knew she couldn't afford to be expelled with her situation. the thought of coming home with no hope of curing her sister was too much to bear.

"ms. barlowe," dumbledore finally announced, "you have three weeks detention, you will not be permitted to go to hogsmeade during that time."

avalon nodded, secretly relieved that she wasn't expelled from the school. although, she was disappointed that she wouldn't be able to go to hogsmeade, as there was still so much that she wanted to see. she solemnly thought of a cute blouse that she had wanted to try on at the clothing store she had went to.

as mattheo put in no effort to hide his smug smirk, dumbledore turned his attention towards him. "mr. riddle, you also will have detention for three weeks. you are also not to attend hogsmeade for an additional two weeks following your detention."

karma's a bitch

she watched as the color drained from mattheo's face as he stood up. "professor, why am i the one punished when she's the one who physically attacked me?!"

"this isn't your first offense, mr. riddle," dumbledore responded calmly, "there have been multiple complaints from different students and staff about your disrespectful behavior. consider yourself lucky i haven't expelled you."

mattheo opened his mouth to protest, but, dumbledore raised a hand. "unless you want me to reconsider my decision not to expel you, i'd advise that you comply."

defeated, mattheo nodded and stormed out of dumbledore's office, leaving the two of them alone. pondering for a moment, avalon cleared her throat. just as she opened her mouth to speak, the headmaster beat her to it.

"i know what you're about to ask, ms. barlowe," dumbledore said sternly. "i still will not allow you to take fourth year classes."

the red haired girl's lips thinned, expecting this response by now. however, she knew that it couldn't hurt to ask.

as she walked out of the headmaster's office, she was thoroughly annoyed to find mattheo waiting for her with a furious expression. she could have made a smart remark, or even laughed at his 'nearly broken' nose again. however, avalon knew that simply responding to his rage with a blank expression would make the boy go absolutely mad. so, she did just that, blinking at him emotionlessly before turning on her heels to walk away.