✎ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞: 𝐫𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧

HOGWARTS 1993

avalon's favorite place at hogwarts was the astronomy tower.

she often would go up to the tower with her textbooks or sketchbook and sit there getting lost in the wind until curfew hit. after her classes, she would often study up there instead of the library or her bedroom. the library was far too noisy, ironically, with people gossiping about the newest hot drama going around.

not to mention, of course, the offhanded comments towards her about her being muggle born, although people seemed to have gotten bored with taunting her after first year ended. after avalon simply started giving the taunts no reaction, verbally harassing her lost its appeal. still, there were always dirty looks and muttered comments, but avalon didn't really have the capacity to actually care.

her bedroom was quiet when she was alone in it, but, that was rare. her roommate, pansy, also seemed to grow bored at hurling insults at avalon, however, there was still a lack of respect for avalon's space. often times pansy would have her friends over, ignoring when her roommate was trying to sleep or study. after a scuffle last year between the two of them, avalon decided it would be best to be in her room as little as possible.

the astronomy tower, however, was secluded, which avalon loved. back at home, she never got much time to herself, as she was too busy keeping her family afloat. she never had many hobbies except drawing. back at home, she would often wait until everyone was asleep and then she'd draw whatever came to her mind, although she never had much inspiration outside of her imagination. that was why she appreciated the scenery of the astronomy tower, as she much preferred drawing the view of hogwarts than simply drawing random things.

as she settled by her usual spot sitting by the railing, she pulled out her sketchbook and looked around. between the trees dancing with the cool wind and the people flying on their brooms on the quidditch field, she had many options. she liked that very much. after some thought, she settled on a small raven that had landed a few feet in front of her.

avalon took out a black pen she had smuggled from back home and started on a blank page. there were lots of things she had adjusted to since being introduced to the wizarding world, however for some reason, she still could not get on board with using a quill. writing was one thing, but for drawing she loathed it, as she found that dipping the quill in ink every five seconds was too much of a hassle.

as the started on her drawing, she chuckled at how the raven had stayed in place. she hadn't anticipated the raven sitting for more than a few seconds, so she rushed to finish the outline. however, the raven stayed in place staring at the girl, as if posing for the picture. while avalon liked being alone up there, she decided that she didn't mind the raven's company. it was just the two of them, after all.

"are you even supposed to be up here?"

avalon flinched at the sound of the unfamiliar voice, making her hand that was holding her pen jolt unexpectedly and smudge her drawing. the raven also seemed startled as it flew away as fast as the girl could blink.

the girl turned to face the voice, slightly annoyed that she no longer had the raven as a reference. she was faced with a dark haired boy she recognized as being in her house. his dark eyes narrowed at her as he crossed his arms, as if expecting some sort of explanation as to why she was there. much to his irritation, avalon didn't feel as if she owed him one, and she simply looked back down at her sketchbook, flipping to a new page to start over.

"i believe i was talking to you," the boy stated again, this time walking towards the girl.

avalon's eyes stayed on her sketbook, this time settling on a nearby tree as a reference. suddenly, the book was snatched from her hands, accidentally drawing a thick line over the outline she drew.