12 | revealing the inner turmoil

"So you're telling me that the girl talking to Avril is Romine?"

"Yes!"

"How do you know?"

"I had seen her. Arabella took photos with her and I had seen them."

"So, you are concluding that my brother is the one who had employed her to kill Andrei?"

"Yes, Alan! It all fits perfectly! You are intuition was –"

"See, Pristine!" Alan hollered, putting his hand up, "I am in a good mood. Don't spoil it with your stupidity."

"Spoil your mood? Alan, are you serious? Can't you understand the importance of the subject I am talking about?"

"You are claiming my brother is a killer with no proper evidence, how do you expect me to take that in?" his face infuriated.

"Really? I didn't know you were this ignorant and rude," Pristine huffed.

"Just because you are the victim doesn't mean you can blame everyone else around you."

"And just because Avril is your brother doesn't mean he can't be a killer!"

Pristine barred her eyes from pouring tears; she struggled to conceal her sensitivity.

"Seriously," Alan faltered, "After all that I have done for you –"

"ALAN!" Pristine screeched, "You have so much pride in your head that you think you have saved me from the gutter and now I have to turn loyal and grateful for your generous act? Do you really think in that puny brain of yours that you are smart??"

It would have been no surprise if the Alteiners would have knocked on Alan's room after hearing her yell. Luckily, the family was asleep, weaving dreams of dragons and draculas that put them to their slumber.

Alan had no words to speak. She had just summarized his personality and suddenly, Alan felt there was nothing to deny. He had actually expected her to be grateful, he had thought of himself smart, and obviously, he had hurt her.

"All you know was to shut my mouth with some insolent remarks," hot tears trickled down her reddened face, "I had remained silent. I had endured all because you had saved me, but does that make you superior, Alan? Just because I have nowhere to go and no one to trust, does it mean I should become somewhat like your slave? Turn left when you ask me to and jump off the cliff because you had ordered?"

"No!" a shallow defense escaped his tight throat, he noticed her brimming tears and felt like a villain. A pitiless villain only capable of hurting others.

"It just can't be Avril, Pristine," he comforted himself in the guise of reasoning, "Avril has a pure heart out of all of us. He can never be that cruel. Even his power never manifested because of his stainless soul; he just can't intend harm to others or fool anyone. But shape-shifting involves tricking victims, which is –"

"How long are you going to believe that?" Pristine stomped, her face flaring.

"Believe what?"

"Believe that he is still an innocent chap? How long do you guys plan on being blind? Till Avril kills the whole of Caperwood?"

"That's outrageous!" Alan growled, "There is a limit to your accusations and I can't accept any of them."

"Fine!" Pristine brushed the tears that cascaded her pink skin, "Now that I know who you are and what are your goals, I'll take care of myself. Please tolerate my presence only till tomorrow – I'll find myself some shelter and leave this place. Also, I'll pay you all the money you had to spend on me. Regarding the power, please tell me what to do, because I have nothing except my soul to offer. If that –"