6

Republic City was truly a sight to behold. Cars powered by both bending and gas crawled like ants beneath the bison. Skyscrapers stood tall over the city, with flashing lights and screens. There were spots of ruins scattered throughout the streets, gated with fencing and glass, with groups of people being lead through. And right in the heart of Republic City, was a crater of vines.

"The third spirit portal..." Tubbo whispered under his breath, "I never thought I'd get to see it."

"Well Tubbo my friend," Tommy smiled, "you're about to see much more."

Tommy steered Duffle around a giant statue in the middle of the bay. It was Aang, with Korra scaled smaller beside him, and several other important Avatar's likeness stood there or carved into the base.

"Wow." Tubbo breathed, "those are all your past lives."

"Yeah." Tommy nodded as they reached Aang's face.

He regarded the statue for a moment. This was the Avatar who changed the world 10,000 years ago. Aang was the one who founded Republic City with Fire Lord Zuko, Toph, Katara and Sokka. It was in his footsteps Tommy must follow.

"Hello!" A voice nearly made Tommy fall off the bison.

He looked around and saw a girl flying next to him. She had no glider, just a red bodysuit with webbing. Her hair was long and dark, and she had multiple tattoos alongside her Airbender arrows.

She laughed, "I didn't mean to startle you. I'm Niki."

"Tommy." The boy stuttered out after his shock, "and this is my friend Tubbo."

Niki frowned, "those are some pretty outdated air nomad robes, and is your friend from the water tribe?"

"Southern tribe." Tubbo told her, "I'm a Waterbender."

"And I'm an Airbender." Tommy said, "I need to get to Air Temple Island."

"Alright, just follow me!" Niki veered downtown, and Tommy turned Duffle to follow her.

They flew down to an island in the bay. A grand, white and green temple stood proudly in the middle of courtyards filled with airbenders. Air bison flew around stables. On one side of the island, some kids were playing air ball.

Niki landed in front of the entrance to the Air Temple. Duffle set down behind her, and Tommy and Tubbo slud off.

"Some of the other air nomads will take your bison to the stables." Niki told them, "in the meantime, you should meet Master Kristen, she's the one in charge here."

Tommy could only nod. He hadn't seen so many airbenders in a long time. Not since he was a child. And as Niki lead them down the temple hallways, Tommy was overwhelmed with the simple beauty of it. Intricate mosaic covered the walls, telling the story of his people.

Eventually they made it to the heart of the temple. A woman with a dark purple cloak stood waiting. She also had airbenders tattoos under her long, dark hair.

She smiled at Tommy as he entered, "It's nice to see you again, Avatar. I'm Kristen."

"It's an honor to be here." Tommy said, bowing, "Have you seen my father? His name is Phil. We got separated when earthbenders attacked us."

Something flashed in the woman's eyes. Not anger, perhaps sadness? Tommy couldn't get a good read before her calm demener came back.

"No, unfortunately we haven't seen him in fifteen years." Kristen said.

"Oh." Tommy looked to the ground.

Tubbo put a hand on his shoulder, "it's okay. Maybe he's just running late."

Kristen smiled at the water tribe boy, "hello, who are you?"

"I'm Tubbo from the Southern Water Tribe" he introduced himself, "I'm Tommy's waterbending master."

"Wonderful!" Kristen clapped her hand together, "and how long have you been teaching him?"

"Uh, well..." Tubbo rubbed the back of his head

"You see, I haven't actually started learning waterbending yet." Tommy admitted, "we were trying to get here as soon as possible, so there wasn't much time."

"I see." Kristen lowered her hands, "and I suppose you don't have an earthbending or firebending teacher either?"

Tommy shook his head.

Kristen closed her eyes for a moment, then looked at them with a smile, "well Republic City is the perfect place to find all sorts of benders. We have many masters that I can recommend while you wait for your father to get here."

"Really?" Tommy looked up at her.

Kristen nodded, "we'll set up a room for you and your friend in the temple. You can practice waterbending in the bay as well."

"That would be great. Thank you." Tommy told her.

"Your welcome." Kristen said. She paused for a moment, "would you also like an air soar suit?"

"You mean one of those outfits with wings!?" Tommy brightened up.

Kristen laughed lightly, "yes. I'll put one in your room for you. No go practice your bending."

"Thank you! Of course!" Tommy bowed to her.

Tubbo tried to bow, but he was quickly dragged off by Tommy.

Kristen sighed, moving over to a window. She looked out over the expanse of ocean.

"Phil... Where are you?"