Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The weeks that followed Amelia Bones death started very hard. Susan wasn't herself at all, and disturbingly quiet, and Harry was really worried about her. Around the third week of her mourning however she woke up one day, and the girl was ready to go on with her life, but in a completely new direction.

Susan had really dedicated herself to the DA and training with Harry. She trained harder than anyone, and as hard as Harry. Her progress was immense, and her training was intense. She also no longer really cared for her grades, her future career, and anything that didn't involve war or combat, but that didn't extend to Harry.

The two had become closer than ever. Susan would sneak into his quiet quarters at night...well after a while she didn't even really try to hide it. She was caught after hours by Professor Snape one night and she asked him to fuck off as she slammed Harry's bedroom doors on the old bat. She skipped his two weeks of detention with the man, and instead went to the Headmaster, and told him to expel her at which point she walked out. Needless to say, the Headmaster wasn't going to kick out Susan. Mostly because she was one of the most popular students in the school, and she was a leader of the DA, and she was Harry's girlfriend, and the DA probably would have thrown HIM out of the school had she been forced out.

Harry secretly loved the new Susan. She was driven. She woke him up every morning, and they went on a run together, and when they came back, they would shower together, and she would reward him for working hard with her. Then they would go to classes, go about their day, run the DA, then train after hours in the room of requirements which afterwards she would reward him again. Needless to say, Harry was loving it. The girl was shining with confidence, and she worked hard, and while her motives were definitely questionable Harry hoped that he could protect her through any coming conflict. He only hoped she wouldn't try and run off to do anything stupid on her own.

It was December before anything of noteworthy significance would occur. Susan was running the advanced DA class and Harry was watching the girl admirably. It was the first time he had turned over the advanced DA class to anyone, but Harry had told her right before class that night that he wanted her to walk them through the shield and counter offense, because she was quite exceptional at it, perhaps even better than Harry. So, he turned it over to her willingly and was watching how she did in the big leagues. He could tell she was excited, but also a little nervous that her closest friends in the world were basically watching her and trying to get the instruction.

"The key to this drill is speed. I don't care how powerful you can fling blasting curses, exploding hexes, or the unforgivables. If you can't get this timing right, and the spell off then you are going to lose, and that could cost you your life. So, I am going to demonstrate for you guys, Hannah, Ernie if you please."

The two Hufflepuffs stepped forward from the group and simultaneously cast the stunning spell at Susan, and with lightning speed the girl had her shield up and returned fire to both taking out Ernie in surprise, and almost catching Hannah in crossfire. The DA clapped politely at this, and Susan said, "I was lucky. I don't think Ernie was expecting my response to be real speed, but demonstration speed. Harry trusted me however to teach this lesson, so I wanted you guys to see the practicality of the speed in this. More than likely you won't catch a Death Eater or a Dark Wizard off guard with this, but this could change the tide of a one on one duel for sure. Imagine you are being overpowered by someone like Dolohov, Lestrange, the Dark Lord, but then you surprise them and the blitz of spells they were firing at you has now been turned on them. Then you can gang up on them and turn the tide, but not if you can't even get an attack in. Now partner off in pairs of threes and let's see it. Take your time, and pace yourselves. We don't need to see anyone getting hurt here."