prologue

Agent k9 POV

"Agent K9, your attention is urgently needed," a voice echoed through the main hall. I was about to take a bite of my lunch when I heard the announcement. "Why are they calling me? I just finished reporting my mission a few minutes ago." "Maybe it's another mission," my friend and partner, Collins, said, munching on his food. "It better not be. I just got back from my mission and I can't be assigned another one for a week."

I stood up from my seat, wearing my black suit, and headed towards the elevator that would take me straight to the top floor. A few minutes later, I knocked on the door. "Come in," a deep, weak voice responded. I took a deep breath and entered.

"Good day, Mr. Thomas. You asked for me?" I said respectfully. Mr. Thomas, the man who had taken me off the streets and given me this life, looked up at me with a warm smile. "Oh, you've really grown over the years."

"Thank you, sir. I couldn't have done it without your help and support," I replied. Mr. Thomas's laughter made his already wrinkled face scrunch up even more. "Haha, this kid... I heard you just came back from your recent mission and did an excellent job capturing the Spanish drug lord. But there's something urgent that needs attention."

I was immediately curious. What could be so important that the chief would come down personally? "We've discovered recent attempts on the President's daughter's life..."

"Wait, you want me to be a bodyguard?" I blurted out in disbelief. Mr. Thomas's expression turned serious. "Let me finish, Jerry. You're only going there to protect her, but your main mission is to catch the culprit. And remember, nothing must happen to her."

There was a tone in his voice that I couldn't quite grasp, but I pushed it aside. I'd faced life-or-death situations before. "No problem, chief. I'll do my best."

Mr. Thomas smiled. "I know you will. Now, get ready to head to America."

"WHAT?!"