»»» 𝔳𝔦𝔦𝔦.𝔦

Start from the beginning

"No, Agent Romanoff," Clarke said before she could leave, gesturing to the seat at the head of the table between him and Truth. "I paged you both here. Fury would've given you this assignment himself, but, in his absence, I will be your primary form of contact until further notice."

Natasha sat down, directing her next thoughts to Truth without taking her eyes off of Agent Clarke. Every time she initiated the more intimate form of communication, it was always a pleasant surprise, a steady reminder of Natasha's acceptance.

Does this have to do with Secretary Pierce taking over as Acting Director?

Truth responded in kind.

Despite Pierce giving Fury his job, Fury doesn't fully trust him. Neither do I, and Fury respects my opinion. He won't give someone like Pierce authority over certain individuals like you and me.

Natasha didn't get to question why Fury would list her as a priority before Clarke began speaking again.

"Cybertek Corporation is a technological development company we've been keeping tabs on for a while. Up until now," he said, handing them both their own files, "they were an up-and-coming weapons company making and selling products to the U.S. military and Italian Armed Forces."

"Something's changed," Truth guessed as she skimmed through her file.

"Correct. There's an event being held tonight in Virginia, and one of Cybertek's ambassadors is expected to be there. You have been tasked with finding out why. We suspect there may be a trade-off involved, but that is only an assumption. This is only meant to be a surveillance op—find out as much as possible about your target and any other relating, insinuating circumstances without anyone ever knowing you were there. Are there any questions?"

"I was under the impression that all of my missions had to be approved by Agent Barton," Natasha relayed, glancing up from her file.

"Oh, it was approved alright," Truth muttered, staring at Clint's sign-off on one of the confidentiality papers. Apparently, he had been serious when he'd said that he wanted Truth to work with Natasha—serious enough that he had thought to follow through on it before he left for his own assignment.

Natasha, however, frowned.

Is that okay with you? she asked Truth.

Truth didn't quite understand the question.

Why does it have to be okay with me?

I thought you preferred solo missions.

Oh.

She wondered who had told Natasha that. It was true, but still.

It's fine, ángelos, Truth assured. Solo is just usually easier with someone of my skill-set, but I'd love to work with you officially so long as you're also okay with it. I think we did pretty good with Borba, after all.

Natasha made a face.

If you forget how I stabbed his dick and made him pass out, then, sure.