Chapter 11

After the tour had wrapped up for the Summer, Taylor had quickly settled into a comfortable routine back in Kansas City. Football season was in full swing, so she was taking on the brunt of the parenting responsibilities while Travis was busy with practices and conditioning sessions. She was also hard at work planning a special party for Avery's upcoming 10th birthday.

Before they knew it, September had arrived, bringing the start of a new school year for Avery as well as Travis's first game of the season. Luckily, it was a home game, which meant Taylor and Avery were able to be there to cheer him on. Avery was delighted to get to dress up for the game, picking out one of her favorite Chiefs t-shirts and matching red Converse. She stood right next to Taylor for the entire game, keeping her focus on Travis every time he went out on the field.

"Dad won! Dad won the game!" she cheered as the game ended.

"He sure did, sweetheart," Taylor replied, kissing Avery's head, "Let's get our stuff together and then we can head down to meet him."

Avery practically bounced through the hallways of the stadium, racing as quickly as she could to the family waiting room where Travis would meet them once he had showered and changed. Taylor followed closely behind her, nervous that she would quickly dart out of sight behind a corner somewhere.

By the time they reached the family room, Brittany had already arrived with her children and Avery quickly settled in to play with Sterling. The two girls were busy playing dolls together when Travis arrived, but Avery still noticed him right away, running over to hug him as soon as he walked in the door.

"Dad! I'm so proud of you!" Avery greeted him, earning a laugh from the other adults around them.

"Hey girlie! Look at you all dressed up! Did you enjoy the game?" Travis asked, scooping her up and placing her on his hip.

"You were so fast Dad! Even faster than when Benji has the zoomies!" Avery announced excitedly, "But I don't like when the other team hits you. That's not nice."

They quickly said their goodbyes before heading out to the car, eager to get home and finish their preparations for Avery's birthday the next day. Avery was excited to know that Jason and Kylie were coming with the girls, who she had only seen on FaceTime before. They had a few other friends and family members coming for the party, including both Taylor and Travis's parents, several of Travis's teammates and quite a few of Taylor's close friends, but Jason and his family were the only ones staying at the house, planning a full week in Kansas City for the girls to play together as well as a much needed night of babysitting so Taylor and Travis could go out.

When they got home, Travis and Avery settled in the movie room to watch The Little Mermaid, her current favorite movie, while Taylor finished wrapping her gifts. She was just putting the finishing touches on the last package when her phone started to ring.

"Hello?" Taylor answered, seeing that it was a call from her lawyer.

"Miss Swift? We have an update in Avery's case. We were finally able to locate her father," the lawyer explained.

"That's great news! Does that mean we're able to proceed with the adoption now?" Taylor asked.

"Not exactly. I'm afraid this isn't good news, Miss Swift. He's refusing to sign away his parental rights. In fact, he's petitioning the court for full custody of Avery. We have a hearing scheduled for Wednesday."