"The guys on night duty are investigating an armed robbery on the other side of town. Detective Harry is supposed to join us with backup soon," Terrance continued.

"Help!" a high-pitched scream coming from the building we stood, and a woman comes out running. "Please!"

Terrance rushes to the woman, holding her gently, and tries to calm her down. "You're safe now. Can you tell us what happened?"

I walk swiftly towards them, my voice stern. "Tell us what happened," I say, ignoring Terrance's glare as I look at the woman.

Her eyes fill with tears as she chokes on her words, trying to speak. "I was having trouble sleeping..."

"I left him at his office while I went to sleep. I heard sounds coming from the room, so I went there to make sure everything was alright..." She starts to cough up blood while she speaks.

"The pictures... they're there, he'll..." Her words are cut short as she loses consciousness.

"Miss Adaline, what's wrong?" I ask urgently.

"She's trying to say something," Jenna observes, her voice tense.

"Get the paramedics!" I call out.

The ambulance takes Mrs. Johnson immediately, leaving us officers curious about what she had to say.

"It seems our backup has arrived," Terrance notes, scanning the area behind me.

"Detective Brown!" Harry's voice calls out.

"Detective, good to see you," Terrance responds before being interrupted by a loud bang, I felt my knees weaken, my heart beating faster. I couldn't use the breathing exercise to calm down, I couldn't breathe.

"A gunshot!" Jenna exclaims. Her voice was distant even though she was standing right next to me, her blurry figure walking closer "Belle snap out of it!"

I did, My heavy eyelids opened I was on my knees the heel of my left palm grazing the wet asphalt.

I rushed myself up grabbing my gun and dusting my palms on my Jeans "Jenna, Terrance, with me!" I order, we dash towards the source of the sound.

"Over there!" Jenna roars. "Someone escaped through the windows."

"Check the building," I order, following the man running on the roof.

۵♡۵

Detective Hart and Detective Brown have gone into the building, finding their way upstairs, Lieutenant Belle going after the man. There is a body lying on the floor.

"She is dead," Terrance reports to Jenna.

"No, she could be sleeping," Jenna jokes nervously.

"Was she poisoned?" Terrance wonders aloud, examining the body. "There's blood on the carpet but-"

"Don't touch him, the forensics will tell us what they know," Jenna cautions.

"What's that?" Terrance points to the bloodstained carpet.

"A thorn," Jenna whispers, her eyes widening. "It's Him."

Jenna dashes out of the house, chasing after Belle.

"Belle! I have to stop her!" she calls out.

Terrance follows closely behind, trying to stop her.

"She'll get killed," Jenna mutters, her voice trembling.

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

Lieutenant Belle Gabin
Investigative Unit
Preyton Police Department

Detective Jenna Hart
Investigative Unit
Preyton Police Department

Detective Terrance Brown
Investigative Unit
Preyton Police Department

Do you like how the book is progressing?

thoughts?

not me making up for the late updates ^⁠_⁠^

don't forget to vote, comment and follow

xoxo۵