Chapter 12

Rearranging her course schedule had required less disputation than she had anticipated.

There had hardly been a need for disputation, thanks in large part to her outstanding SAT score.

She would have tried to stick it out. She had made it as far as the door to chemistry, bag of radishes in hand for the experiment worth seventy percent of their respective grades, eyes trained on the boy who sat scanning the throng of talkative students – presumably seeking her – when her teacher had informed her that the office had requested her presence.

She had handed the radishes to another student with the polite request that they give them to Dylan.

She had stepped into the office, to find the head of the drama department, vice-principal Yvonne Teasly, and her guidance counselor all waiting.

She had secured a part in the winter musical and therefore her schedule would need rearranging, they said.

Specifically, her chemistry class, which would conflict with afternoon rehearsals.

Brenda couldn't believe her luck.

She had agreed to complete her chemistry credit in a winter intersession at California University's campus.

She had then wiggled out of art, with the excuse that film studies would be a better use of her time for her chosen career path.

She had been offered a new locker, too; one in the drama department had opened up with the departure of a drama favorite and Brenda's place in the winter play had nearly guaranteed her a role in the spring play.

Her audition would have to be truly catastrophic for her to not be cast, said the drama director.

Staying at school later than normal when no one was around but the custodian, Brenda had moved all of her belongings into her new locker.

There were a few exceptions; all belongings that held any reminder of Dylan or Kelly were slipped into the lockers of both.

She still had Spanish with Dylan; home room and government with Kelly.

She relocated her seats to the other side of the classrooms, far away from both.

It made the long days spent trudging from class to class more bearable.

She threw herself into rehearsals, determined to show the school the star power she was capable of.

During the day, she went through acting like everything was fine, everything was normal.

At night, however, she would spend hours on the phone with Valerie, detailing exactly how not fine everything was.

"I keep thinking I'll run into them, that I'll see them locked in PDA in the hallway," said Brenda. "I don't get it. Dylan and I have been broken up for weeks. He's had ample time to start dating her. Why hasn't he?"

"Maybe he was more interested in the chase than the catch," said Val. "I know plenty of guys like that. Has he tried to talk to you?"

"I don't see him much," said Brenda. "I'll see him come into Spanish, but we sit on opposite sides of the classroom and I usually leave before he gets a chance to approach me. Is this childish? Am I being immature?"

"You're coping the best way you can," said Val. "You don't have to be friends with the guy."

"I know, but it's just...Val, he has no one, and now I've left his life, too?"

"Bit dramatic, Bren. You still see him in Spanish."

"If I'm a bit dramatic, what are you?"

"Touché. If you really feel bad, maybe you can start slow. See if you can rebuild the relationship, maybe as friends first."