Maddie Buckley

"Dad? Mom? What are you guys doing here?" Maddie asked her parents, confused.

She received a message from Buck to meet him in this direction. After her brother extended his vacation for a week longer without giving anyone any explanation, Maddie had been worried. So, she accepted the text message with relief. She did not expect to find herself in a family neighborhood or to see her parents parking in front of the same house as hers.

"We got an urgent call from Evan," Margaret Buckley explained, wringing her hands nervously.

Maddie knew that she had been working hard to fix her relationship with both of her children. She had lost so much time mourning her dead son that she neglected and hurt her living children. Some things could not be forgotten, but both Buckley siblings appreciated her efforts. Maddie was especially glad to see that her mom realized how much damage she did to Buck and took responsibility for it.

"Do you know what this is about?" Phillip asked, putting an arm around his wife, looking as concerned as her. "Last time we heard, he was on vacation in Italy."

"Well, that's his Jeep," Maddie pointed at the black car in front of the two-story house. "Let's ring the doorbell and find out for ourselves."
The three Buckleys did just that and were startled when the door was flung open by a beaming and excited Evan Buckley. "You're here! Come in! I can't wait to show you around!"

That's how Maddie, Margaret, and Phillip were dragged in a daze inside the villa. The house was more akin to a grand estate, given a tour that left them awestruck.

The ground floor had a beautiful dining room that sprawled over the west wing, with a chandelier and a stunning painting of LA's famous Long Beach. The room could host like twenty people, and it was decorated in soothing white, silver, and shades of blue. There was a door that led to the kitchen.

The kitchen was, as Maddie had expected, restaurant ready. Nothing less from someone trained in the art of cooking by Bobby Nash. The pantry was full, and all kinds of spices were neatly organized. Equipped with the latest state-of-the-art appliances, this kitchen had a WASP of the highest level like Margaret Buckley nodding in appreciation. Maddie chuckled at the fancy Hildy coffee maker and fridge. She sent her brother an admonishing look, who simply winked mischievously in return.

The tour continued, with the foyer which had a staircase to the second floor. Though the four of them moved to the double door beneath the stairs. There was the living room, decked with black armchairs facing each other with a low, glass, long coffee table. On one side, there was a marine blue comfortable sofa with silver decorative pillows. On the left wall hung a beautiful painting. Maddie gasped when she recognized the snow-covered Hershey in the winter and smiled at Buck. There was also a glass double door that showed the backyard and led outside.

The backyard had many acres, Maddie noted with an impressed whistle. It fits a soccer field, a pool, a barbecue grill, and a sitting area, plus a children's garden playground with swings and a slide included. Buck guided them back inside, closing the doors to the backyard behind them, before leading them to the living room's right wall. There was a door that led them towards a beautiful, old home library. It took up the whole East wing and had two floors, with its own staircase and sitting area complete with a fireplace, armchairs, settee, and a desk to work.

"God, Evan, this place must cost a small fortune," Phillip gasped, wide eyes taking in the classical wooden bookcases filled with literature.

"It did, but after years of saving and hitting Monaco and Las Vegas with my lightning-induced math abilities, it was within my budget," Buck shrugged. "It's not like I used my paycheck for much more than rent and groceries."

Margaret looked at her son, stunned. It was not the grandeur of the small villa that shocked the woman; the Buckley family had always been well-off. But it was the fact that her rebellious son seemed to have pulled his life together. "This is your house," she realized, her voice filled with pride.

"It is," Buck shrugged uncaringly, gesturing around. "That's why I took another week off. I had to hit Las Vegas for some extra budget and to arrange everything."

"What is all of this for?" Maddie asked her brother, confused by the sudden changes in Buck's life. "Why call all of us to show us a house?!"

"Soon you'll see," Buck replied mysteriously, before the Buckley Hurricane hit again and swept the dazzled Maddie, Margaret, and Phillip to continue with the tour.

The second floor was where the bedrooms were. On the right and left of the staircase were barely furnished guestrooms. They had a bed, a night table, and a wardrobe. One had a view of the LA Zoo and the other had a painting of the LA Aquarium.

Buck then showed them a bare bedroom that he explained was Chris's to decorate. The room was connected to another through a shared bathroom. They crossed it and they all gasped when they realized the kind of room it was.

Buck chuckled heartily at his gaping family. "Welcome to Elle's nursery."

It was beautifully decorated with an urban landscape painted on the walls, and a fire engine-shaped crib with a dalmatians-mobile. There was a blue changing station beside a blue wardrobe.

Buck placed the baby monitor, Maddie had not realized he had been carrying, on the changing table and went to pick up the gurgling baby in the fire engine crib. Maddie gasped when two identical blue eyes stared back at her.

"Maddie, dad, mom, meet Danielle Kameron Buckley, Elle for short," Buck smiled shyly, but filled with pride.

By then, Phillip was trembling, Margaret was openly crying, and Maddie was stunned. "And... wasn't Kameron the friend you helped get pregnant?" Maddie covered her mouth with her hands in shock. "Evan, what happened?"

Buck held his daughters closer and gave them a sad smile. "There was a car accident. She did not survive. Conner could not handle it. Elle is now mine, completely and legally."

"I'm so sorry," Maddie smiled tearfully at her brother. "But as bad as it sounds, I am happy you got to keep Elle. You'll be an excellent father."

"You think?" Buck asked shyly. Maddie walked towards him and hugged him, mindful of Elle. "I know. You're already wonderful to Chris."

"Thank you," Buck murmured into Maddie's hair. He then took a step back and smiled at Elle. "Would you like to meet Maddie? Yes, you do, she's your auntie."

Buck then carefully placed his daughter in his sister's arms. Maddie almost burst into tears. Elle looked so much like Evan did when he was a baby. The similarity was uncanny!

"You are the prettiest little firefighter!" Maddie cooed, finding her little firefighter onesie adorable.

"Evan..." Phillip looked at his son, lost for words, as his wife sobbed on his chest. Maddie looked at their parents warily. But then a wide smile bloomed on their dad's face. "Thank you! And congratulations, son!"

Buck laughed in relief as both Phillip and Margaret wrapped him in a tight embrace. Maddie joined them with a warm smile as she cradled her niece.

Yes,the Buckley family will be just fine.