A Birthday Fiasco: Part 1

Hiro Hamada woke up in his room with a yawn. He got off his bed and was about to head for the restroom, when a beeping sound came from a red box, summoning Baymax.

"Hello, I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion," The robot said. "Good morning, Hiro."

"Hey, Baymax," Hiro greeted, tiredly. "I'm gonna brush my teeth, wait here." He went straight to the bathroom before Baymax could give a lecture about personal hygiene like he does almost every time it's brought up.

Several minutes later, the 14 year-old boy genius came out wearing his favorite outfit and feeling refreshed after brushing his teeth and cleaning his face. Although his hair was as messy as ever, he didn't mind since it's always like this no matter how many times he's brushed it.

"C'mon, Baymax. Let's get some breakfast." They walked downstairs to the cafe where Cass was already serving customers their breakfast.

"Morning, Aunt Cass," Hiro greeted as he sat down at a nearby table, Baymax standing next to him.

"Good morning, Aunt Cass."

"Morning, Hiro, Baymax," Cass greeted back with a smile. "I'll get your breakfast right after–"

"Do not worry, m'am!" Suddenly, Noodle Burger Boy came to serve the customer Cass was tending to, the woman looking wide-eyed. "I've got it under control."

"Oh, thank you, Noodle," The cafe owner said, gratefully. Hiro gave a nervous smile. It has been a few days since he and the team defeated N.B.B. and his "sisters". After that, he reprograms them back to their normal selves before they went rogue. Despite everything, he still feels uncomfortable with the fact that he now kinda lives with one of his old enemies.

"Hiro, my sensors reveal that you are nervous," Baymax spoke up, slightly startling the boy. "Is it about Noodle Burger Boy?"

"What? No...okay, maybe..." Hiro stated, rubbing his arm. "It's that...it still feels pretty weird seeing him and the other mascots now."

Cass and Baymax glance at each other. They knew they couldn't blame him, since Noodle Burger Boy had been terrorizing San Fransokyo for almost a year. Not to mention, he somehow hacked into Hyper-potomous, Hangry Panda, and Crushroom a couple months ago. The woman gave an understanding look, putting her hands on her nephew's shoulders as she faced him.

"Hey, I know that this is a big adjustment, but we'll work around it. Trust me, before you know it, you'll actually enjoy having them around." She gave her nephew a reassuring smile and hugged him, which he returned.

"Thanks, Aunt Cass," He said, gratefully. Suddenly, Baymax's beeper goes off again.

"Hiro, this is a reminder that your birthday is in 2 days," He states, Hiro's eyes widening in realization. That's right...in 2 days, he's going to turn 15. This will be his first birthday with all his friends and...

The first birthday without his older brother.

Hiro rubbed his neck with a saddened look. "Wow...I didn't realize...I guess I"ve been so busy lately that I kinda forgot."

Cass immediately recognized the look on his face and frowned. For as long as they can remember, they would only celebrate their birthdays together. But now that Tadashi is gone, it just wasn't the same...

"Hey, let's still try to make this a great birthday. I've invited the whole gang and we're gonna have a blast," She said. Hiro gave a weak smile. He knew that his aunt was trying to cheer him up the best way she could, but he wasn't sure if he was going to be able to enjoy the party.

Suddenly, the cafe door opened and Hiro turned to see his friends coming in. Since graduating SFIT, the team has been working on new ways to maintain their lives as superheroes and normal citizens, especially since Gogo, Wasabi, and Honey Lemon are still job-hunting.