Chapter Nine| Conner

"Conner, you realize it's rude to look at your phone on a work meeting, right?"

"The zoom doesn't start for another five minutes, Emma," I defend.

"Don't get cute," she says in a clipped voice. "Seriously, who are you texting?"

"I'll explain all that when everyone is on," I say.

The last thing I need to do is go over this again and again when they still don't get and or like it.

My phone chimes again, she already picked her flowers?

I glance down to see not Rissa replying again but a new text from Cami that simply says, hey.

Hi... I send back with a concerned frown. Is everything okay?

Does something have to be wrong to text you? She replies in an instant, and I can hear her snark through the phone.

Well, no... but you never do.

Nothing is wrong. I have a question.

What?

Did you have a date this weekend? I saw you liked some post you got tagged in.

You're stalking my social media?

No, Mom is, and we have a bet going, so???

No date, Cami.

Knew it! Ha!

I scowl and shake my head as I set my phone aside.

"Come on, fess up; who are you texting," Emma says.

"My sister," I say as I look back into the screen.

"Right," Emma drawls out the word, "then why did you have that goofy smile on your face?"

"I didn't!"

"Well, not now, but when I first logged on, you did," she says.

"It was my sister, see, Cami Fields," I shove the phone at the screen and she leans in.

"You have your sister's full name on your phone as a contact name?" Emma scoffs, and then a smirk pulls at her lips. "It looks like she's asking you about your date this weekend!"

"I didn't have a date —"

"Conner had a date?" Brenda's face pops up on the screen at that exact moment.

"It wasn't a date," I say.

"Then why were you blushing?" Emma asks.

"He was blushing? Must've been some date!" Branda giggles.

"What date?" Johnathan, my publisher's screen flashes on next. Great. The last thing I need is for Johnathan to think I'm not focused. He's annoyed enough that it's taken this long for an idea.