09 - Trust

On the way to the room, my phone rang. As promised, Jessy was calling to make sure I was still alive.

"Hey, Aurora must've closed by now, right? Everything okay? How was your date?" She said, sounding sleepy, but invested.

"Uhh... I can't talk much now, Jessy," I replied looking at Jake who was still eating at the table.

"Why, did something happen?" Her voice went from calm to concerned instantly.

"Everything's fine, it's just that I'm still with him..."

"WHAT? Where did you guys go at this hour?" Jessy shot back with her loud and clear voice, as if she were on speakerphone.

"Jessy, I said it's fine. The date was good, so... " I paused, trying to find the right words; "I came to his place." I concluded, already moving the phone away from my ear. However, there was only silence. I thought the call had dropped. Putting the phone back to my ear, I asked:

"Jessy?"

"YOU HAVE NO SENSE, YOU JUST MET THE GUY..." Jessy's voice resonated again. Jake nearly choked on his food when he saw me jump in surprise.

"Jessy, the call is cutting off, we'll talk later, okay?" I said, desperate to end the conversation.

"CUTTING OFF, I SEE. OKAY, TAKE CARE... SEND ME YOUR LOCA..."

I hung up without even saying a proper goodbye. From the kitchen, Jake looked at me, covering his wide smile with his fist.

"She's right." He admitted.

"I know." I responded calmly, since he was stating the obvious. Jake seemed surprised by my reaction. "Calculated risks, remember? I'm taking the risk of trusting you. So you better make it worth it."

I went straight to the last door, took off my clothes, and stepped into the shower. I had never taken a shower so quickly. When I was about to step out, the door opened, startling me.

"You forgot the towel." Jake's voice sounded mixed with the noise of the falling water.

"Nice excuse." I said, peeking through the crack I opened in the glass door.

The shower stall was separated from the rest of the room by frosted tempered glass, making everything blurry. Still, I felt exposed. Jake stood near the sink, holding a towel towards me, while covering his eyes with his other hand.

"It's not an excuse, I'm not even looking." He said. "You also forgot the clothes you were going to borrow. Were you planning on going to my room naked?"

'He's really comfortable,' I thought. Jake had never teased me like this before. I blushed with embarrassment both at his suggestion and my distraction. I was so focused on my dramatic exit after Jessy's call that I walked straight past the room, forgetting to grab clean clothes.

"So, if I invite you in here, are you going to refuse?" I asked, trying to retort his audacity.

Jake froze. I watched as he blue-screened for a moment. The arm holding the towel, cheeks turning red.

"Forget it. Can you pass me the towel?" I said, reaching out my arm.

Jake approached, handing me the towel with one hand while still covering his eyes with the other. I let my intruse thoughts win, grabbing his wrist and pulling him into the shower with me. He opened his eyes, but I covered them again with my hands. I stood there for a moment, blushing as I held him fully clothed and now wet, while I was naked.

"And you say you're shy..." He said, smiling as he was pressed against the wall. Jake tossed the towel over the glass door, held my waist, and pulled me closer to him. Leaning towards me, he kissed my mouth without caring about the hands covering his eyes or the water running over his clothes.