❛𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓶𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓶𝓮 𝓯𝓮𝓮𝓵 𝓵𝓲𝓴𝓮 𝓘 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓯𝓸𝓸𝓭 𝓹𝓸𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰❜

"You make me feel like I have food poisoning."

Not many things had happened that week except for Lavender Brown's pet bunny, Binky, was killed by a fox. Her and Hermione got into a fight about how it was or wasn't Professor Trelawney's prediction coming true.

"Oh, honestly, you don't really believe that it was her prediction?" Hermione said, obviously irritated.

"But she said something bad, something that I dreaded, would happen on October 16th," Lavender cried.

"Well you only found out about it on October 16th, Binky was probably killed earlier than today!" Hermione fought, but her words just made Lavender cry harder.

"It's only a bunny," she mumbled, but Lavender had heard her and glared at her.

"What did you just say about Binky?"

"He's only a bunny. Not like he was your mother," Evelyn said, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, sorry, forgot you had experience with that," Lavender scowled.

Evelyn glared daggers at her and made a motion with her arm to grab at her wand, but Hermione held her arm back.

"It's fine," she said into her ear, but Evelyn glared at Lavender one more time before stalking off, leaving a smirking Lavender, happy she got under Evelyn's skin.

"What was even the point in that?" Hermione asked, turning to Lavender, and she quickly ran after her best friend, Ron and Harry following her.

"God," Hermione said, scouring the corridors for the brunette, "does Brown find joy in being an insufferable rat?"

"Seems like it," Ron said, opening the doors to classrooms to find Evelyn.

"Where would she go?" Asked Harry.

"What about the library?" Ron suggested, and he followed Hermione to the library, to see Evelyn searching through her back pack and pulling out a book, homework papers scattered onto the table.

"Hi," Hermione said, sitting down and looking at Evelyn, who had paused her studying.

"Hi," Evelyn replied, "do you know where my History of Magic book is?"

"Oh, yeah, I have it here," Hermione said, pulling out her friend's book, searching her face for any sign of sadness.

When Ron and Harry sat down at that same table she looked up, "what?"

"Well..." Hermione started, "about what Lavender said."

Evelyn rolled her eyes, "that insufferable rat doesn't get under my skin."

"You sure?" Asked Ron, and she turned to him.

"If I wasn't sure I would've hexed her into oblivion by now."

"True," Harry nodded.

"Well, if I want to be able to read my book, I'm going to have to do my homework now. Then I'll just have three classes worth of homework left. Hermione, you can join me. But you two," she said, pointing at Ron and Harry, "can shoo."

"Why?" They immediately asked.

"Well, for one, you two can not be quiet to save your lives, and two, Hermione and I are doing homework for classes you two don't have," she said, and the two walked away solemnly.

As the two girls studied quietly, Evelyn voiced her thoughts.

"Do you think my mother left me somewhere because she didn't love me?"

Hermione looked up, startled, but her eyes immediately softened, "oh Evelyn," she said, pulling the girl into a comforting hug.

"I think she left you somewhere because she did love you," Hermione told her.

"How does that work? If she loved me, wouldn't she get in touch?"

"Well," Hermione sighed, "she probably left you because if you stayed with her she wouldn't be able to afford it. And she probably doesn't get in contact with you because she believes you'll be mad at her for leaving you somewhere. But she knows where you live if she does need you."

Evelyn nodded and pulled away from her best friend.

"Thanks," she said, and smiled gratefully at Hermione, "for being the smartest witch and therapist."

"Evelyn," Hermione laughed, and the two broke into a small laughing fit, making sure they didn't make too much of a ruckus in case they were to get kicked out of the library.

"Come on," Hermione said, hiccuping herself back to seriousness, "we have a theory lesson with Professor Sinistra."

Evelyn gathered her books and papers, stuffing them in her bag and following Hermione out of the library and to the Astronomy Tower, where they were to start their theory lesson on how the stars were possibly going to align the following week.

☾☼☽

The four of them sat down on the sofa in the Gryffindor Common Room, and Evelyn leaned her head on Hermione's shoulder, her eyes becoming heavy.

"Why do you look like that Ron?" Evelyn asked, squinting her eyes as she looked at him.

"Like what?"

"Like a rat."

"You make me feel like I have food poisoning," he glared.

"You probably do," she said, "but also that sentence doesn't make sense."