“You act as though you’re having a harmless conversation with me, as though you consider me any other lady, but I’m just your pet.” There’s a wait in my tone. I blink up at him and press my lips into a thin line. “Please, why have you called me today?”

“I give the orders, so chill and follow me.” Kyle’s usage of words is usually more foreign than that of his brothers.

We continue to stroll inside the building until we reach the dining room, where the guards open the door for us. Entering, my sight lands on Kade and Kieran, who are discussing something that seems to keep them on the edge of their respective seats.

When they see us, Kade whips down his hand to stop the conversation, and they adjust their positions.

“Welcome, Kaya. We’d like to invite you to breakfast with us today. We’ve got a little discussion, plus it’s been quite a while since we last saw your face. How bad of a master to his slave.” Oh, yes. He just had to call my name, then change back to belittling my being. Asshole! In fact, dork-face.

I want to vanish from here so bad.

When I wanted to sit, Kyle pulled out the chair for me. I am at my highest peak of surprise because this is all strange. Maybe they are just teasing me. They are predators, after all, and they’d like to make their prey think that they are safe without realizing that they are in fact in danger.

“I’m sorry, but what’s all this about?” Immediately, just as I asked, Kade’s index finger went to his lips, ushering me to shut up.

I swallow a lump in my throat, my nerves at their peak. There’s adrenaline jolting within me, ingesting anxiety into my bloodstream, and it hurts my stomach because it’s twisting.

“You’re here to join us for breakfast. Just listen.” Kade instructs, and I nod my head slightly, such that it is almost unnoticeable that I actually did.

“So, where were we?”

“I have sent a message to our old friend, but he’s currently indisposed. The annoying toothless brat,” Kyle laughs sharply before he continues, bringing out an amusing face from Kieran and Kade as well, “has said he’d be available in the next moon. He said he’s traveling around the world on water. Trust me, I have no idea whatever he is trying to achieve.”

“Honestly, I knew we shouldn’t have let him leave then. He was our best commander at the time.” Kieran speaks in such a manner that you could tell he’s reminiscing about the past. His lips press into a thin line before he focuses back on his food.

“Oh, yes, brother, you are only saying that because he was just as chaos-loving as you.” Kade chimes into the conversation with a short chortle. I’m surprised that he’s got a sense of humour, too.

He’s usually the cold and collective one.

Whoever they are talking about, I have no idea about them. In contrast, something tells me that it must be as cold as the triplets for them to love the person.

I am split into many thoughts when a maid drops a small tray of food in front of me, and my brows raise at it.

I never eat whenever I’m with the triplets on occasions such as this. They never ask for the maids to bring me food.

“What are you doing?” Kade’s voice has gotten tighter, and his question is directed to the maid.

“My Lord, I thought...” she pauses, trying to collect herself before she starts again. “The kitchen had extra food, so I thought the lady should eat.”

“Leave my sight.” Kade orders, and she hurries off. There’s been a lot of surprises going on today, for I had thought he would kill the maid on-site.

Kade exhales, “eat then, little thing.”

Inside the tray is rice in one bowl and meat soup in another, with a spoon fixed to the side.

I nod my head and dive in. Indeed, I’m hungry because my tongue was already salivating even before I took a taste of it. I wish I could moan at the grandness of the food.

While I’m eating, the conversation goes on.

Kieran’s speaking now. To be honest, I don’t even have an idea of where the conversation has led anymore because I’m barely listening, only catching some active parts. “So, he’d only be willing to help in the next moon? That’s another month from now. We have just one month left to get ready for the war.”

“I actually think I understand Chester. The war is to begin in two months, but the duration of which it’ll last could be years. In fact, it would take years because it is a national war. He’s got to prepare himself, too.′

“That’s fucked up, and all the more reason to fasten with our plans. Tell him to hurry. We can’t wait till the next moon. We have to come up with plans. Or Kieran, what do you say?” Kade’s question is directed to Kieran, who nods his head with a humming sound of agreement.

I’m almost done with my food since I’m not included in whatever they are invested in until Kade calls my name, causing me to freeze for a second.