Chapter 2: Which Side?

Začít od začátku

This little neighborhood of six houses can feel enormous sometimes. Yes, the mansions are on large tracts of land but we still see each other often.

I noticed a red convertible coming down the street. Two girls, completely identical are in it. Bells and Ells. I wonder why I didn't get an identical twin. I would have gotten away with absolutely anything. Soon after, a black SUV followed and the back window rolled down to reveal a platinum blonde with th coldest eyes.

"Oh shit." I muttered.

She's back! Fascist barbie is back! She stared at me for as long as I was in view before she rolled up the window.

The last car is the sports car shared by Miki and Matt. Matt literally stuck half his body out of the window and howled at me. I laughed at his wild manners. He's such a vibe!

It's almost eight o'clock. Everyday before 8am, eight cars leave the neighborhood. Nicole Bellingerre is usually chauffeured in a Rolls Royce. The Bellingerres flaunt. Nic with a "c" is no exception. The Sinclairs, Pascal and Evie are also chauffeured to school in a classy Benz. Lola Cavaleiro drives herself to school in a red Porsche. She recently got her license and she is not quiet about it. Ells and Bells drive themselves in their red convertible. Miki and Matt also have their own car. Adelyne Rose Harrington is driven by her father everyday. They have a warm fuzzy relationship. They even sing in the car together. That leaves the four of us. We are driven to school either by the General or a driver. Never Dani. Rei is supposed to get her license but she keeps failing her driving tests. Like I said, she takes nothing seriously.

"You won't believe who I just saw-"

Rei plastered her palm on my face. "It's Monday and it's too early. Don't talk to me."

"But-"

She mattered in Spanish and sat at the back with a math text book over her face. I usually sit in the middle of Reina and Charle. Laila sits in front with her father.

"What's wrong dude? You look pale." Charle noted.

Two years ago, we did something really bad. It got some of us suspended and another expelled. The one who suffered the harshest consequences was Maia and she is back.

"Nothing." I faced the front as the car began to move.

It wasn't long before we got to school. We never really hang out together but sometimes we tend to be around each other.

"Will you introduce me to your friends?" Laila asked us.

"No." Reina told her flatly. "You already know who we are friends with."

"You can hang out with me." I took her hand.

When Rei stopped suddenly, we all bumped into her one by one. I craned my neck to see what she's looking at, only to see fascist barbie with Lola.

"Dios Mios! She's here? Are you seeing this?"

"Yes Rei. That is what I was trying to tell you. She's back."

We waited until she was gone before we all hurried to Lola.

"Shit she's back. What do we do?" Rei asked her.

"I told you guys not to throw her under the bus!" I reminded them.

"Shut up Renee!" Rei and Lola spoke at the same time.

"What did she say?" I asked Lola.

"I asked her what I should expect and she said hell. What does that mean?"

"Dios mios puta! It means what it means!"

"Don't call me puta you pandejo!" Lola shot back.

I moved away from them when I heard the bell ring.

Two years ago when we were still in elementary school, a fire broke out in the science lab and it engulfed an entire wing of the school. Two people were injured but luckily, most students got away unscathed. Maiara is one of the students who took the harshest punishment.

Now that she's back and promising hell, that is exactly what we will receive. Those AP classes and college don't sound so bad right now.

Laila's POV
It's almost the end of the day.

It's been a tough day. I have been mostly alone. I don't know anyone in my class except  Maiara  but I'm scared of even speaking to her. In our group of friends, I'm the youngest and most times I'm usually left out. I just don't feel like I fit in.

I'm sitting under the bleachers, watching the world from this end. Maybe I should ask Dani if homeschooling is an option. She did tell me that high school is tough especially when you're too young for it.

I narrowed my eyes at a group gathering under the bleachers. I recognize the members.
Rei, Ren, Addie, Charlie and Lola. They keep talking about something that happened but no one is telling me anything. I want to get closer and eavesdrop but they will see me coming.

They are being secretive about it but I know that it's about Maiara Bale. Something big did happen two years ago on a cold autumn afternoon. I remember police cars going to the Bale residence but no one was arrested. A few days later, Maiara was gone. No one saw her again until today.

I made my way out of the bleachers, leaving the trouble stirring just a few feet away behind me.

I'm counting the minutes until the driver comes around to take us home. I don't think I'm coming back tomorrow. It's too stressful.

"Laila."

I stopped at the sound of Maiara's voice.

"Hey Maia."

"Did I see you in my English class today?" She smiled at me.

Maia has very pale blue eyes. They say it's a trademark feature in the Bale family but hers are almost silver.

"Yes you did."

"Lovely. Are you headed for pick-up? I can't wait to go home and lock myself in my room."

"Tough day?"

"Something like that but nothing I can't handle." She's tough. Everywhere she goes people stop and stare. She doesn't seem to care. Even when they whisper, she keeps her head up and keeps going. "When you have a mother who wears scandal ever so gracefully, you learn a lot. So, why are you eager to go home?"

"First day. I haven't made any friends."

"Why do you need to?"

"Because friends make the world go around." I beamed.

"Such an optimist soul!" She smiled fleetingly. "In my experience, friends are little devils with knives waiting to stab you in the back. Don't get too comfortable around people, they are a disappointment. Ciao Laila. See you tomorrow."

A black SUV pulled up just in time for a man to get the back door for her.

"Maia!" I followed. "Can you give me a ride?"

"Yeah." She shrugged. We both got into the car and it drove off.

"Do you want to hang out?" I asked her.

"No."

"Okay." I shrugged off the blunt rejection.

"Not at your place anyway. You can come over to mine."

"I'd love that."

She started putting some lip balm on her lips, using a little mirror. "Laila, something tells me you are a nice girl. Do yourself a favor. Don't choose the wrong side."

"Wrong side?" She slammed her mirror shut.

"There is a side to every conflict, battle and war. Pick the winning side. Now, how do you feel about gelato and pizza?"

"Sounds good." I smiled as much as I'm nervous on the inside.

Which side is she on? Should I be on that side or on the side my sisters are on? I know they are not on the same side.