Central Calendar Month 1 Year 1639 | →

Teito Shimbun Morning Edition

29 January 2675 (Heisei 27 / 2015)

First Diplomatic Contact in the New World, Revealed to Be with the Principality of Qua-Toyne

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs held a special press conference at 17:00 last evening on January 28th, announcing that they had achieved the first contact with another civilized nation in the New World. Suenaga Takezaki, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman, explained the following details and content conveyed to the foreign country:

On the 28th of January, in the Central Calendar of this world, at 11:09 (local time), approximately 60 kilometers off the port of Maihark, Captain Midori and three crew members from the warship Peema belonging to the Qua-Toynian Navy's 2nd Fleet boarded the Imperial Navy's first-class coastal defense ship, Niitaka, which belonged to the Tainan Naval District. The purpose of the boarding was for inspection. In response, Taizō Ōmori, a first-class secretary from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who was on board Niitaka, conveyed the following points: the name of our country is the Japanese Empire, our hope for negotiations with the establishment of diplomatic relations, our intention to dispatch diplomats, the fact that our country suddenly appeared in this world, and an apology for the violation of your country's airspace during the patrol in the surrounding waters, ensuring that there was no hostility. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs received the report from Secretary Ōmori and conveyed that they were continuing to coordinate the dispatch of Chief Councilor Yasutake Ōtomari as a special envoy, pending the approval of the foreign country. It was also noted that the entire meeting was conducted in Japanese, which was a notable fact, as the language barrier and communication gap had disappeared, indicating a high likelihood of smooth communication in this new world.

This report was also promptly announced to the Empire of Manchuria, which had transferred to this new world alongside our country. The Manchurian Ministry of Foreign Affairs held an extraordinary press conference at 17:30 on the same day, stating that they had started coordinating the dispatch of a special envoy with the aim of establishing diplomatic relations.

. . .

Food Temporary Control Order Issued – President Iio: "Necessary Measures Until the Situation Improves"

The Imperial Government announced that it would control the buying and selling of food items that were either not produced domestically or were produced in very limited quantities and were highly likely to affect the lives of citizens. This measure was taken in response to the transference to the New World, aiming to minimize the chaos while the Imperial Diet was in recess. The "Temporary Control Order on Imported Food Items and Others" was determined shortly after the transference date through swift consideration by the three ministries: the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Agriculture, and the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The order was based on the control order used during the oil crisis to regulate hyperinflation. It was decided in a cabinet meeting on the 22nd of this month and promptly referred to the Privy Council on the same day for consultation. The Privy Council immediately convened the presidents, vice presidents, and permanent committee chairpersons of both houses of the Imperial Diet, as well as the Ministries of Internal Affairs, Agriculture, and Commerce and Industry, and opened a temporary review committee. While the original proposal included a wide range of items, some committee members requested the removal of items expected to be imported from the Empire of Manchuria, but it was decided to retain them, as information about the crisis caused by the transference in the Empire of Manchuria was not yet confirmed. The committee's report, decided as per the original cabinet proposal after coordination, was presented to the Privy Council's full meeting on the same day and was approved without modification. After receiving the Imperial Ordinance, it was announced today as an urgent decree.