"Thanks Hawwy!" Theo smiled at me, taking his first bite.

"Welcome buddy" I responded. We took a spot at one of the empty side tables, so that he didn't leave a trail of crumbs on the Target floor, and so I could explain to him what we were doing here. I had a few questions to ask him as well. "So Theo"

"What?"

"Mommy's birthday is next week, so I thought we could pick out some presents for her. Does that sound fun?" I asked. I had a few other gifts that weren't just me walking around Target and grabbing what I could find, but I wanted Theo to be a part of the process and I figured we could find things she would like here as well. Also, I needed some craft supplies.

"Yeah! I know what she wants" Theo nodded.

"Okay perfect! What else does mommy usually do for your birthday?" I asked, just trying to get a hint. I wanted to make Lennon's day as special for her as she makes the day for the kids. Especially when she told me the other day that her birthday "isn't really a huge deal". That's definitely not the case, she deserves to be as celebrated as she does for everyone else.

"Birthday donuts!" Theo gasped. "They're word donuts that say Happy Birthday!"

Noted.

"Awesome! What else?"

"Lots of balloons! Mommy puts some on my door, and then they fall down, and it's so silly!" Theo laughed. "And colors!"

I'm assuming he meant decorations. Which reminded me that décor was also on my shopping list for today.

"Oh! And she makes a pancake with how old you are! Do you know how many mommy is?" Theo tilted his head, trying to think of the answer himself.

"Yeah, I know how old she is" I chuckled. 2 and a half weeks older than me.

"Good, cause I forgot. And then we just do whatever the birthday person wants"

"Sounds great, thank you Theo"

"But" Theo paused. "We only do all dat on my birthday and daddy's birthday"

Ignoring the obvious slap in the face for a second, I froze trying to understand what he was saying. Does he mean that Lennon does all that stuff on their birthdays, but no one does it for hers? And by no one, I mean Hudson because clearly Theo is excluded from that.

If what he's saying is true, between that and the fact Lennon was sure no one was going to fill her stocking, I started to feel extremely bad. It's probably not my place to be thinking like this, but did Hudson really not do these things for her? It was shocking to me, but I wouldn't dare say anything about it to her.

"Oh" I bit my lip. "Well this year, we'll do it for mommy's birthday. I think she'd really like that"

"Me too!" Theo clapped his hands together and used a napkin to wipe his face. "I'm done"

"Alright, let's go" I cleaned off the table and then we headed into the main part of the store.

I grabbed a cart and stuck Theo in the back part of it. the last thing I wanted to do was lose my child, so I made sure he was contained. We went to the decoration section first and we decided to make the theme be Lennon's favorite color, which is yellow, and then white to even it out.

We grabbed a mixture of yellow and white in everything we could find. Tablecloth, napkins, plates, balloons, hangy ceiling things, banners, streamers, if it was a party decoration it was getting added to the cart. When we decided we had enough things, we moved on to the arts and crafts section.

I wanted to have Theo make something for her, but my creativity skill is a little lackluster when it comes to this sense. I grabbed a canvas, different colored paints, brushes, and glitter and figured we could make something work out of that.