Unveiling the Power of Touch: A Comprehensive Guide to Oral Placement Therapy

For children with speech sound difficulties, clear communication can feel like a distant dream. Traditional speech therapy, while effective, sometimes needs an extra nudge. Enter Oral Placement Therapy (OPT), a unique approach that harnesses the power of touch to improve speech clarity and feeding skills. This article delves into the world of Oral Placement Therapy, exploring its benefits, techniques, and how it can empower children with communication challenges.

What is Oral Placement Therapy?

Oral Placement Therapy (OPT) is a form of sensory-motor intervention that utilizes tactile cues to improve the placement and movement of the oral structures involved in speech production. These structures include the lips, tongue, jaw, and velopharyngeal valve (a muscular flap separating the nose from the throat).

During OPT sessions, a trained therapist provides gentle touch and proprioceptive input (information about body position) to the oral area. This helps children with speech sound difficulties develop a stronger awareness of their mouth and how to move it precisely for clear speech production.

Why Choose Oral Placement Therapy?

Many children struggle with speech sound production due to various factors, including:

Weak oral musculature: Some children may have weak or underdeveloped muscles in their lips, tongue, and jaw, making it difficult to produce specific sounds.

Sensory processing challenges: Children with sensory processing difficulties may struggle to understand the sensations coming from their mouth, hindering their ability to control their oral movements for speech.

Apraxia of Speech: This is a motor planning disorder that affects the ability to coordinate the movements necessary for speech production.

Oral Placement Therapy can be particularly beneficial for children with these challenges. By providing targeted sensory input, OPT can help them:

Develop awareness of their oral structures: OPT helps children understand the position and movement of their lips, tongue, and jaw, giving them better control over their speech production.

Strengthen oral musculature: Certain OPT techniques can help stimulate and strengthen the muscles in the mouth, improving articulation and speech clarity.

Improve sensory processing: OPT can help children with sensory processing difficulties become more comfortable with touch in the oral area and integrate this information for better speech production.

Develop motor planning skills: For children with apraxia of speech, OPT can provide a structured approach to practicing specific oral motor movements, improving their ability to plan and coordinate the complex sequences needed for speech.

The OPT Toolbox: Techniques for Success

Oral Placement Therapy utilizes a variety of techniques to address individual needs. Here are some common approaches:

Tactile Cues: The therapist gently touches specific areas of the mouth to guide the placement of the lips, tongue, and jaw for different sounds. For example, light pressure might be applied to the lips to help them close for sounds like "p" or "b."

Proprioceptive Input: The therapist may use tools or hand positions to provide proprioceptive input, such as holding the jaw in a specific position or placing a tongue depressor on the tongue to guide its movement.

Visual Aids: Mirrors can be used for visual feedback, allowing children to see the position of their oral structures and compare it to a model provided by the therapist.