Night Thrills

Dani

The jet black Ferrari speeds across the abandoned highway like a panther chasing after its prey. The darkness of the car blends against the inky night outside. The man driving has a fat cigar in his mouth, wiggling it between his plump and sinful lips. Every once in awhile, he removes his hands from the wheel and inhales the sinful smoke into his mouth. He takes a deep breath, enjoying the fact that it's killing him slowly.

A dark shadow covers the man's face, hiding half of it in its wake. Eyes are hidden but lips are pulled up into an irritating smirk. The man begins to gain velocity, forcing his car to ascend rapidly. I watch the dial on the dashboard as it goes from seventy to one ten in seconds. I currently find myself seated in the passenger seat beside the man, gripping onto the seat as we drive at a fast pace, with no idea what I'm doing here. How exactly did I end up here?

"Don't worry about that sweetheart." The man says.

The man glances at me for a second but then retrieves his eyes back onto the road. I stare at him, trying to get a look at his features to see if he seems familiar. I look but all I get is a blurry disarray of his face. All I can make out is the mess of curls on his head and his full lips. I look outside the window to see that we are zooming along a deserted highway.

Everything is dark the only light comes from the occasional street light looming ahead of us. "Where are you taking me?" I ask the man. "I said don't worry about it" He snaps. I gasp at his harsh response, making a drop of a nervous sweat run down my forehead. I hear both the crash of my heart against my rib cage and sound of blood rushing to my head. I breath heavily while glancing around anxiously.

I need to get out of here. I don't know this strange man. I don't know how I got here. I don't know what he wants from me.

With this speed if I jump out, I'm sure to die. Jumping out is my only option right now. I really don't want to stick around any longer to see what this man plans to do with me.

I latch onto the door handle and open the car door. Looking down onto the road, I try to decide when to jump.

"If you're going to jump I suggest doing it now sweet cheeks" The man says to me. It's like he wants me to jump and spatter my brains everywhere. Nice.

I take a deep breath and try to ignore everything around me. The beating of my heart in my chest, the roar of the car, and the man's hard gaze. I block out the surroundings around me and leap out.

I'm no longer falling from a car, I'm falling from the sky. I scream and lash my arms out, trying to grab something to stop my fall but there's nothing to grab unless grabbing onto a cloud is possible. It's not.

I continue to fall, facing the ground. I watch as my death comes closer and closer. As soon as I'm about to fall onto the hard concrete road I stop, elevating inches away from the floor.

Then I wake up.

I cry out and sit up from bed gasping for air. My body is drenched in sweat while the ceiling fan spins humid air.

It was a dream. It was all just a dream...