CHAPTER 4

RYAN

“Ray! You're the best!" Olivia's thunderous cheer rang out across this deserted court. It was already the dinner timings and yet here we were. College study hours had been over, and our time to practice basketball had just begun.

"C'mon man, just pass the ball." A profound scowl appeared on Cardan's brow, signalling that Arthur's leg was about to be broken.

I was trying to be cool as a cucumber but let me tell you this guy always got into my nerves.

Well, now someone else was giving a tough competition to win that spot.

"You said you just want a little warm up. Now pass the ball before i throw you out." I would, definitely.

"Fine guys, y'all are just so scared of my skills." Arthur had his moment of fake hair flip then tossed the ball and the other moment I was throwing myself to catch it.

The leather touched my skin and there it kicked. The electric lines shorted out, sending a rush of adrenaline into my blood. I dribbled the ball, eyes set on the hoop. Arthur, Cardan and Max barred my way with every angle but my eyes already got the target.

I went on with my between the legs dribble, focusing my attention on my competitors’ next move through how their feet were moving.

"What do you think guys, should I tickle him?" Arthur muttered enough for all four of us to hear. “otherwise, there would be no chance to get this ball out of his hands until he makes the goal. And I’m running on patience. My hands are itching; I need to feel the leather before I pass out.” He's hella dramatic.

"Unless you wanna be eaten alive, the pleasure is all yours, sweetie." Cardan quipped. They were already dawdling in their own conversations. Just a little mistake and I was on my way to pass the ball through the hoop. So I did.

“Goal!! Ray! RAY!” Liv beamed with fever pitch. The thunder of claps.

The dribbling picked up again, this time, Cardan had command of the ball and let me tell you, he’s one of the best players I had seen so far. He’s driven and unyielding for making goals on his own. He would never let go until you’re smarter or the ball goes through the hoop.

“Cardan, if you pass it to me, I’ll give you Beyoncé’s concert tickets and that too two. Let’s make a deal. It won’t last long, two minutes, tops.” The negotiation techniques of Arthur obviously were not bad for Cardan, since Beyoncé was his eternal crush. But I guessed, basketball and Beyoncé were not comparative.

“C'mon man, just think about it, two tickets! You can take any girl, enjoy the evening and then night. You know what I mean.” I had already known the part where Arthur winked.

“we’ll talk about it later.” Cardan whispered and the ball had come back in my hands. I told you, just a little distraction and the devil is here to make it worse.

“Oh god! You really are disruptive.” Cardan was actually ready to beat the wicked smile out of Arthur’s face; he surely loved getting into everyone’s nerves.
Well, his competitor had already arrived.

She…..i had literally never seen anyone so stubborn. That too when it came to me, nobody denied a word. Though, it’s fascinating and gave me as much of a thrill as basketball. Someone needed a good lesson, so she would learn how to obey Ryan Lewis.

"What!? Are you serious? An air ball? Did you get scared when I mentioned tickling you?" Arthur rambled on, sounding a little let down. And of course why wouldn't he be? "Oh man, i would never do that, would i?"

"What's wrong Ray? You look a little scatterbrained." Max queried. All his attention was on me now.

“yeah, everything’s fine? It rarely happens when you miss a goal.”

We all made our way over to the bleachers. This girl had literally done something with my mind.

“what’s wrong Ray? You okay?” Liv threw her hand around my shoulder but my body refused to comply. It barely ever did. Olivia was my middle school friend, and we had forged a strong friendship bond since then. Like those one of the rare times, I had resisted her. And that was as visible to her as it was to me.

“Nothing guys, I need some fresh air I guess. See you all tomorrow.”

This girl was messing with my head and she succeeded in just a day.

All my mind  was actually engaged in deep thoughts. That girl. Ella. What was with her? The point had been bothering me for so long, like how could she even choose Alex over me. She shouldn’t have. No one ever had.

This girl was challenging me. Ryan. She had no idea she was playing with fire.

I noticed her seated among the bunch and I was about to go with someone else, honestly. But the moment I locked my eyes with her hazel ones, I was……I had no idea. She held my concentration for an extended period of time. And the fact that nobody had done that, yet someone who came out this courageous made me want to…… I didn't know. Girls generally either felt shy or terrified. She was neither of them.

Okay. Let me get the cat out of the bag. I was intrigued when I looked at her. I was lost in a different, nonexistent realm. Well, if I practically spill my guts, I had the desperate urge to kiss her. I wanted to know how her pouty lips would feel against mine.

I was behaving like a complete jerk, I was fully aware of that.
But I was a jerk.
Though, not of this kind.
I had done horrible things. I had no regret for anything honestly. I was a man of dignity and actions. I would do what I want, what I like, what I prefer.

This thought was so alienated for me, because in this life till date I had never felt this urge to kiss someone. The way I felt at the very moment our gazes met.

I was without a doubt drawn to her. But she, the girl had the audacity to prefer someone else over me. She had the nerves of steel that she went and kissed Alex in front of the whole campus, leaving me in astonishment and rejecting me in front of the jury.

I had never given a rat’s ass what people think and say but I was definitely going to hit the roof about she kissed him but not me. I was tarred and feathered yet more cheesed off; I was so pissed that I could kill a person if they dare to show me the face at that specific moment.

I had no idea, what was going on with me.
But I was really sure that she would pay for each and every eye that lent on to me with humiliation.

She had started the war and now it was all in my hands how to move it, how to play it, how to destroy it and how to end it.

“You are my one and only target for the rest of the years, Ella.”

-----------------------------------

Uuuhhhh!! Things are getting heaty and hotty.
And really out of the woods.
Let's see who's gonna win the war of hate!!!