Chapter 6

"Maybe this is how it's supposed to be," I sighed into my hand. Jeremiah gently pulled my hand away from my face and down to my lap.

"You're sure you can't remember?" He asked contentedly caressing the back of my palm.

"I'm sure, Jeremiah. If I could, I would've told you by now." I rubbed my temples softly.
"Come on, Amber, you can do this!"
"No, Jeremiah, I can't! You've got to stop believing in me so much! I'm really messed up!"
"You think I don't know that? I've known you for...a long time."

"Sure you have." I pulled my knees into my chest and bit my lower lip.

"I have, Amber, far longer than you realize."
"Oh, really?" I shot back and whipped my head up. "You seem to know everything about me! Apparently you knew about my parents, so tell me how you know this! If I can't even remember, then how can you tell me?"
"I'm...not like others. I can...sense when someone is distraught."
"I don't believe you." He took my hand in his.
"You have to." Quickly, I relinquished my hand and tucked it under my thigh.
"I don't, Jeremiah, I can't."
"Amber," that lead him to gently place his freezing hand on my rosy cheek. I shivered. "I feel...everything that you feel. You're not alone in this, Peach." He absentmindedly stroked my cheek. His fingers burned into my skin and I fell into him.
"Come here, I've got something I need to tell you." I pushed back hard on his chest so that I was leaning back. I bit my lip.
"You're moving." I stated quickly and in a monotonous tone. He shook his head vigorously.

"No, no, how could I do that, Peach? I could never, not with you like this, never." He assured me.
"So, what? As soon as I'm...better, you're just going to leave? Are you trying to make yourself look good?" His face fell in that moment and I bit my tongue.

"You've misunderstood me. I could never leave you. The only way I would ever move, is if you went with me. I can't...live...without you. Don't you understand that? I need you. Every facet of me, everyday!" And his lips were on mine again. I'd like to say that he initiated the kiss, but honestly I needed his lips on mine. So much passion and emotion poured from him, and from myself. I pulled back for air.

"I need you too." I whispered and leaned against his chest. He hoisted me up onto his shoulder and carried me out of the room and laid me down on the bed. He gently kissed my forehead before exiting the room, swinging the door around him as he left. I drifted softly to sleep.

The room was dark, no, there was light seeping through a crack in the floorboards. An overwhelming scent flooded my nostrils and I gagged. A chill slipped up my back and into my neck. The room was too cold; it should have heat, but there was none. A whimper sounded from just outside the room and I whipped around to see. The light from the floor was barely enough to see my hand, and the chill continued to surround me. I rubbed my arms, only to pull my hands away slick with some dark liquid. I gagged and scraped my hands onto my pants, wait. It was a skirt. When did I put on a skirt? Ignoring the question, I felt around the room for a door knob, and to my disappointment, found none. A scraping noise came and I spun around to see through the tiny amount of light I had, that the wall was opening. Jeremiah sat in the open outside chained to a chair, head in his hands. He whimpered and his shoulders jerked. The dark enveloped us like it covered the night, slowly but quickly at the same time. The black of the night was an eerie black that you feel an unsuspecting victim would get knifed down, but silently. It wouldn't be a bloody murder, but a quiet one that slips over them and is forgotten quickly, diminished. Gone. The darkness vanished as quickly as it had appeared, and I could see. We could. We saw each other. The light of the day wasn't entirely enveloping, but just enough so that we could see just a little bit-tiny. Of course, the silence was still filling the wind that refused to move. It was trying to steal our secrets...I remembered. The hamartia, as there always is one, was the silence. The deafening silence that wouldn't be shushed, and made me forget how to speak. The silence. It hurt, yet helped me to remember. Memories hurt so much- worse than a knife sinking down and stinging your skin. It burned me. A sensation, yet a curse, a temptation, yet a battle...the pain... "I'm sorry, I love you. I'm so, so...sorry! I love you!" He rocked in his chair...what was he talking about? Chills shook me again and I wiped my arms again...once again slick with liquid. Blood.