hallways & waterfalls

The Water Tribe princess was guided softly into the sights of the Fire Nation army, hands wrung as she stared up at the cascading waterfall down the side of the Eastern Wall.

Sokka led the group of the Southern Water Tribe in a proud march down the silk hall, his sixteen-year-old self would do anything to prove himself to Father, and for once, it seemed to be working.

Descriptions of the Palace did not disappoint, they were greeted by soldiers and walked with soldiers, a group from the Southern Water Tribe doing business with their main enemy and rival: the Fire Nation.

Katara found it curious that within their enemy's territory, there would be something that reminded her so fondly of Wolf Cove at home. Though the Water Tribes led and lived separate lives, they made joint decisions, which culminated in minor battles fought between each other and fewer visits from her "brothers" and "sisters" in the North.

Crystal clear water cascaded down the wall, opening gently into the garden and finishing into a tiny pool, in which swam turtle ducks, surrounded by little specks of brown substance. However, it looked as though it was recently placed there by someone kind enough to feed the ducks.

"Katara-" her brother bounded over.

Sokka was now beside her, a decisive expression spread across his cheeks, excitedly tugging at his attire,

"Can you believe it? Fifteen years of conflict - and they finally decide to meet. You'd think there was a major event coming - a comet or eclipse or something..." he took a sip of a wine glass placed on one of the corner tables, adorned with fire lilies and snapdragons, "though I don't doubt that the Fire Lord is still a pain in the ass-"

"Sokka!" Father's stern voice rose at the sound of an insult ringing from her brother's lips, something he had vowed not to do on the journey here, "show some respect."

"I'll show them respect," Sokka muttered, then turned to her, hands on her shoulders, "you'll do great, Kat. Just show them... whatever you're made of!" he jokingly punched her shoulder.

"Maybe..." she said as he began to turn around, "they're here to resolve some issues?"

Sokka's laughter rang in the hallway, equal parts mocking and affectionate.

"Naivety isn't your best trait, Kat," he murmured, patting her head.

"The meeting room is down the hall to your right, the last door. You might have to pull a little though, it got stuck last time we had guests," a guard stopped at the edge of the hall, pointing Bato and her Father down towards a burgundy door adorned with the family crest of the Ignis, two flames that crossed each other, then met back, touched the bottom of the door, then exploded into what seemed to be a phoenix rising from the ashes.

Katara followed her brother and her father into the room, before abruptly being stopped by a sharp spear blocking her way.

"Hey!" she protested, hands falling on the spear's hilt, with Sokka turning back at the sound of his sister's protests.

Father turned back, a soldier's spear blocking his daughter's way, "Women are not allowed in the Grand Hall."

Father's eyes fell upon her, and for a minute, she shrank back, feeling the ghost of the Water Tribe's shadow compelling her to bow down to the warm flames that crackled in the Hall.

They were the Fire Nation.

Sokka turned to her separated by the spear that was pulling her back at the soldier's insistence.

"Katara. Go down the hall." Father's voice called.

"But-!" she protested, anger coursing through her veins that her brother was willing to let her leave to save face.