19 | relinquished hearts

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"I can't even imagine..." Kyra breathed out, wondering how little she knew about Sejanus after they separated, and how often Coriolanus had been the rock she couldn't be for him, "He was so lucky to have you as his friend."

Snow stayed silent, glad that Kyra couldn't see his clenched jaw, before eventually diverting the conversation, "That boy from 8 attacked us. I had to... put him down."

"Oh my gosh... That... That must've been awful for you..." Kyra whispered, her hand reaching to cup his cheek and turn his face back towards her, genuine concern within her gaze...

...Alongside a hint of sadistic curiosity.

"It was... Taking a human life, even district, it was... sickening." Coriolanus admitted, though leaving out the part that it was only sickening because of how natural it felt.

"Oh, Coriolanus... You did what you had to do to survive." Kyra's eyes softened, and yet there was something strangely artificial about her sympathy, especially as she continued to press the dark subject, "Was it... hard to do? Or... easy?"

"Strangely... easy. I didn't really think I simply... let my survival instincts kick in." Coriolanus answered hesitantly, testing the waters while keeping a close eye on her every minor reaction. Daringly, he added, "Afterwards, it sort of felt-"

"-Powerful." Kyra finished for him.

This time, the understanding in her eyes was genuine.

"Yes..." Coriolanus breathed out, brows knitting together in confusion at how she could possibly understand.

"When you beat Antonius..." Kyra's voice was barely audible as she spoke, "There was a part of me that... almost didn't want you to stop. It felt justified seeing the man who hurt and humiliated me get punished. And if you wouldn't have overpowered him, he would've overpowered me. Just like you and that boy in the arena."

Coriolanus felt his heartrate increase at Kyra's words, her own pupils dilating as she spoke them. An animalistic, arousing tension rose between them, one that had Kyra glancing away shamefully, denying herself. Affectionately, Coriolanus brushed back her hair as he reassured, "It's human to feel like this. But no one likes to admit it. We pride ourselves on order and civilisation, until the uncivilised force us to face our worst selves. Ultimately, that's what the Hunger Games are for."

Kyra was silent for a long pause, not meeting Coriolanus's gaze as he continued to stroke her hair, weighing up his words. Eventually, she pulled away and shuffled out of bed, reaching for his discarded button-up while clearing her throat, "I'm going to, um, get us some breakfast. I'm starving after last night."

Coriolanus made no attempt to stop her, simply leaning back and watching as Kyra dressed herself in his oversized shirt, and made haste exit. She wasn't ready to face that part of herself yet, and he understood. But he knew she would come around one day.

Heading downstairs, Kyra decided to not trouble the Avoxes so early in the day, making her way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast herself. However, upon entering, Kyra was surprised to find her mother already in there, downing a small vial of an unfamiliar cloudy liquid.

"Ah, Kyra!" Circe jumped upon noticing her daughter, quickly shoving the empty vial into her purse.

"What was that?"