1 | Black Boy Fly

Never in a million years did I think I would ever be at a color guard competition. I always thought that the whole 'sport of the arts' thing was pointless and boring, but here I was, witnessing my very first show. I was only here for one reason, and that was to support my best friend at what she does best.

I've been friends for more than nine years with a girl by the name of Jordin.

Me and Jordin have been friends since third grade, and we are both now Seniors at Centinneal High School. She's everything I could ever ask for in a friend. She's smart, down to earth, and of course, an easy person to talk to. I could tell her literally everything without her ever judging me. She always tries to imagine herself in my shoes when I ever I bring up a problem I'm going through, and give the best advice.

When ever I needed someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or just there for me period, she was always there with no questions asked.

Other than my mother, Jordin has been the only one that has been there for me since day one, putting up with all my bullshit. The funny thing is, is that we weren't even in a relationship - although people always suspect and think otherwise. I admit, Jordin is beautiful, but she's only my best friend.

It's hard for me to imagine her as anything more than that.

Once the show was over, I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. The whole thing was a great first experience for me. It was quite cool actually, getting to see Jordin all dolled up with a big ass smile on her face. Jordin had more of a tom boy look to her, and rarely smiled for some reason.

 "So what did you think?" she asked once she was done performing, and was finally able to meet up with me.

She was now free to leave.

"You looked like a damn fool in that colorful ass uniform! Looking like a box of crayons exploded on your ass," I replied as she pulled her curly, golden brown hair up into a ponytail.

"Why do you always have to be such a smart ass," she asked, playfully punching me in my chest. "I'm talking about the actual show Kendrick. Did you like it?"

"Yeah, it was actually good. It turned out to be interesting. I still find it geeky though."

"Kendrick it's not geeky," she said, folding her arms.

"Spining flags - while barefooted - with a bunch of niggas playing trumpets and shit behind you, and wearing a ridiculous ass costume sounds pretty geeky to me," I replied with a chuckle.

"I can't fucking stand you," she stated, slapping the back of my head, and readjusting the bag on her shoulder.

"JoJo you know I'm just messing with you," I wrapped my right arm around her shoulder, and stuffed my free hand into the pocket of my jeans.

Once hopping into my car, I brought her over my house. My mom absolutely loved Jordin, and I knew she would be more than happy to see her. Not only that, she's also cooking tonight. Tonight's menu consisted of porkchops, macaroni and cheese, and greens. Pops always got home later in the day, so she always had food prepared for him when ever he got home.

As soon as we got to my house, ma' dropped everything she was doing. Her arms was wrapped around Jordin's small petite body faster than I could even blink! After their little bonding party was over, me and Jordin went up to my room until it was tine to eat. I'm guessing the food wasn't quite done yet.

I don't know what it was, but the moment my mom and Jordin first met, they instantly clicked. My mom treated her as if she was her own. And because of that, she of course had no problem with her spending the night. Jordin was spending the night tonight, because her parents weren't quite back from their vacation yet. They were somewhere in Costa Rica celebrating their 8th year of marriage, and wouldn't be back until tomorrow.