69| Endless Possibilities

Beginne am Anfang

First, I looked in the fridge only to be disappointed when I didn't see anything appetizing. The next option was the pantry. My eyes roamed over some packs of ramen noodles and I cringed. Definitely didn't want that. Next was the multiple boxes of macaroni and cheese my mom liked to keep stocked in here. Nope, wasn't feeling that either. Then my eyes landed on the pasta. With a shrug, I grabbed the box of spaghetti noodles before opening the cabinet under the stove to get a pot to boil some water.

"Hey, Karma."

"Jesus Christ!" I shrieked as I spun around. My heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. "Mama. What the hell?"

My mom's expression was complete shock. "What is it? Why are you freaking out?"

"Why am I freaking out?" I asked while waving the empty pot around. "I thought no one was home. I thought you were like a burglar coming to kill me or something!"

She rolled her eyes before setting the stack of clean hand towels on the counter in front of her. "Oh, please, Karma. No need to be so drastic."

"Where's your car?" I asked as I tried to get my heart beat back to normal rhythms. Thank goodness my mom didn't see Nathan drop me off. I was even more relieved that he didn't come inside.

"Your dad and I dropped it off to get an oil change earlier this afternoon."

"Oh," I'm murmured lamely. "Okay."

After filling the pot with some water, I set it on the stove top and turned on the burner. While I waited for it to boil, I grabbed some tomato, onion, and olives from the fridge. While I washed the tomato and opened the can of olives, I could feel my mom's eyes burrowing into me.

"Something wrong, mama?"

With a sheepish expression she grabbed some of the hand towels and walked over to the counter to put them away. "No, nothing's wrong. But your father wanted us to have family night tonight."

I stopped chopping the onion immediately at her words. "Tonight?" My shoulders fell. "But you know I have plans with Nathan for his birthday."

Technically those plans were tomorrow, but I did tell him I was going to come see him tonight. And I really, really wanted to.

My mom cast me a knowing look. "You said those plans are tomorrow, Karma. Besides, we didn't get to see you all weekend while you were on your trip and you know your father has a conference this week. He wants to spend some time with you."

Great. Just great. She was guilt-tripping me. "Fine," I replied with a heavy sigh before finishing the onion. Once I had the tomatoes cut next and the olives sliced, the water was boiling so I added the noodles with a little salt to keep them from sticking.  

"You need garlic salt and black pepper," my mother said from across the counter.

"I know, mama, I'm not there yet. That's after."

"I'm just trying to help."

The guilt I was feeling about not seeing my dad very much lately was now magnified by my mom's words. I had been so stressed lately and this whole college thing seemed to be causing a rift between us. We used to be so inseparable and would do everything together.

"Sorry, mama," I said softly. "How about after dinner the three of us watch a movie then you and I can share some ice cream?"

The way she smiled and got excited broke my heart. This whole college thing was not only affecting my relationship with Nathan, but the one with my mother. A part of me felt like if I just went along with what she wanted and go to USF then things would be fine between the two of us. But then what about me and Nathan?

"That sounds great. I'll go pick a movie while you finish cooking."

I was making a version of pasta salad for dinner. It was my mom's old recipe. Once the noodles were done and cooled, we would mix it with the tomato, olives, and onion before adding the garlic salt and black pepper. Then we would add some salad dressing. "Okay. There's enough for you guys too if you want to eat this."

She came over and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "You're father will be thrilled. He loves pasta salad. So do I."

Once she left the kitchen, I made sure to stir the noodles thoroughly before reaching in my pocket to grab my phone and text Nathan.

Hey baby. I'm sorry but my parents want to do a family thing here tonight and I think it's a good idea to spend a little time with them.

He replied before I could set the phone down on the counter.

Nathan: I completely understand, baby. You don't need to apologize for anything.

I stared at the message for a minute or two. Even though I meant every word I said, and I did want to spend time with my parents, I still felt the need to see him tonight.

Come to my window tonight?

Nathan: Your wish, my command.
I love you, gorgeous.

I love you, too. Always.