HIGH TEA

CW: More stoner Drarry.

Luna's cottage of cobbled brick and turquoise wood was settled in between a cove, a forest, and a prairie stippled with purple wildflowers. The land had something for every creature, and that was precisely why Luna and Rolf moved to the countryside.

Alerted by the sound of clicking hooves, Draco and Harry turned around to see an onyx-hued Hippogriff trying to gauge their intentions. Seeing they weren't a threat, it halted to preen under its wing.

Draco screamed and jumped behind Harry, only brave enough to peer at the creature from over the Gryffindor's shoulder.

Harry remained as his shield, but not without judgment. He raised a brow, "Seriously?"

Draco tightened his grip on Harry's jacket, not taking his eyes off the beast, "Sharp beak, sharp claws, and they're temperamental!"

"You'd know a thing or two about being temperamental," Harry quipped.

The Hippogriff squawked, and Draco jumped in fright.

Bowing at a distance away, Harry approached the beast slowly once it bowed back, just like Hagrid taught him to do.

With permission, Harry smoothed the feathers along its neck, "They're only scary when you piss them off."

The Hippogriff fluttered its magnificent dark wings, and Draco pouted, not wanting to admit just how magnificent they were.

"Perfect timing!" chimed a gleeful voice. "I see you've met Nellie, too."

They turned around to see Luna in a pair of fluorescent fuchsia overalls, a blue blouse, and a wide-brimmed sun hat that shaded her face. In great contrast to her outfit, she held a pail of what appeared to be carcasses.

Draco tried not to say anything about her attire or unusual cargo, but when he looked down, he saw that she was barefoot. He shuddered at the thought of all the unseen creepy crawlies scurrying under the overgrown grass.

"The Thestrals are in the forest," she said, skipping up the flowering hill, her long blonde curls bouncing under her sun hat.

The forest was significantly darker under the canopy of trees. Luna explained that it was better for the albino Thestrals, since they were sensitive to the sun. Forested areas were the natural habitat of Thestrals, anyway, so they had no issue joining the existing herd.

Luna clicked her tongue and whistled, trying to draw them out. The first Thestral they saw was a young foal peeking around a skinny tree trunk.

"Hello, little one," Luna said softly. "Can you show us the way to your friends?"

"As if it would understand English," Draco scoffed.

The foal blinked, considering the pail of pungent meat in her grasp. It seemed to turn around and whinny, as if telling her, "Follow me!"

Luna did, and Harry gave Draco a smug grin. The Slytherin stood frozen in bewilderment at Luna's peculiar talent for communicating with animals.

They caught up to her and found a herd of tranquil Thestrals gathered around a creek. Three were the color of ivory from head to hoof.

Draco wasn't that keen on magical creatures, but despite their odd semblance, Thestrals were hard to dislike. They were passive and gentle. He encountered them many times while staying at the abbey, and they never gave him trouble.

Luna dug in her pail and presented a piece of fat-marbled meat to Draco, "Would you like to feed them?"

Draco looked down at the overly rare steak in disdain and then up at Luna, "Hard pass."