ONE. big travels

Começar do início

"I'm so sorry," she said between laughs. "I couldn't help it. I was just joking, we're fine."

"My God, you are evil, Martin."

"I'm so sorry," Kate said, her hand reaching behind her to rub the outside of Tatum's thigh comfortingly. She couldn't see Tatum super well unless she twisted herself uncomfortably, but Tatum could tell from the width of her smile that Kate bore a shit-eating grin on her face. Kate was awfully lucky she had a pretty smile that Tatum adored seeing because she would have had a harder time resisting the urge to punch that smile clean off her face if it was anyone else. "The real reason I stopped was so we could get a picture."

Tatum heaved a sigh and rested her forehead against Kate's shoulder, ridiculously thankful that they weren't stranded. "I hope you know you gave me a heart attack."

"It's just too pretty to miss up and I wanna remember this with you when I graduate."

Her heart twinged. It was safe to say that Tatum was still in denial that this was Kate's last season with the team. She had been lucky to even have this extra year with her in the first place. "Shut your mouth, literally don't you dare remind me. I don't wanna think about that yet."

"Okay, okay." The blonde chuckled with a raise of her arms as if in defense. "Sorry I scared you, Tae."

At that, Tatum raised her hand and nudged her. "Let's just get that damn picture before sharks get us or something."

XOX

"Jada, are you even helping?" Tatum groaned. She pumped her arms as they paddled through the water. Her muscles ached from how hard she had been working. Their kayaking skills were subpar but she swore that her partner was contributing nothing.

"I am! This is hard," Jada complained.

"What are you even doing back there?"

"Paddling!"

"Doesn't feel like it."

"Give me a break, it's confusing."

Their kayak started to veer away from the rest of the team and Tatum had to instruct Jada over her shoulder, fussing, "Jada, I swear to God! We're going the wrong way."

"I don't know what I'm doing wrong."

Tatum had to quickly peek behind her. She grumbled under her breath, seeing that Jada was using her paddle on the same side of the kayak as her.

"Oh my word, okay." Tatum directed, "Go left girl."

"My left or your left?"

"We have the same left, Jades."

"Oh."

Eventually they were able to work together and maneuvered their way back to be in stride with their team. The pair heard laughter bouncing across the soft waves from one of the other kayaks. Caitlin and Kate were poking fun at Jada and Tatum, having witnessed their struggles.

"Having trouble over there?" Caitlin smirked.

"Hardy-har har." Jada mocked.

"What the hell was that?" Caitlin cackled.

At that point, Tatum pulled her oar from the water as they bobbed slightly in the water. She knew Jada wasn't going to lift a finger while she bickered with Caitlin.

"If this is how you guys are as kayaking partners, I can't wait to see how being roommates goes."

"Hey now," Jada protested. "This is not related to that whatsoever. I do not have to share a boat with her back in Iowa City, okay? So we'll do just fine."