Paris Is Burning

I sat in English class with Rory as we listened to Mr Medina speak.

"There's a certain slant of light, winter afternoons,  that oppresses, like the heft of cathedral tunes." Mr Medina said. "That, my friends, is the first verse of a poem by Emily Dickinson. Now, read some of those tonight and as you do, consider the fact that Emily Dickinson writes convincingly about passion and about the world in spite of the fact that she lived as a virtual recluse. It'll help you appreciate her mind"

The bell rung and everyone started to pack up ready to end the day.

"I could listen to him talk about passion all day." Madeline said. "Do you think he is dating anyone?"

"Of course he is." Louise said.

"A teacher?" Madeline replied.

"Please?" Louise said.

"Why not?"

"Have you seen teachers?" Louise asked.

"He's a teacher." Madeline replied.

I looked over at Tristan and laughed as the two were debating on who he was dating.

"What is so funny?" Paris asked.

"Nothing that includes you." I said to Paris.

I walked over to my locker and put my books away.

"Wanna hang out?" Tristan asked.

"I can't. Friday night dinner with a ghoul." I said to him which made him chuckle. "Why don't you come?"

"Are you joking?" He asked

"She already hates me, let's give her more reason to." I said.

"Are you sure this is something you want to entertain? Making her constantly mad. It can't really be that enjoyable." He said.

"Seeing her face plump up with anger is worth it." I said.

"I'll come to a dinner with you, but not this one. Considering what happened to your grandpa maybe you should be nice too." He said as he kissed me on the cheek.

"You're right." I said.

__

"Hows the squab?" Grandma asked.

"It's good." Rory replied.

"Lorelai?" Grandma asked.

She is going to ask everyone individually? Great.

"It's the best tiny weird bird I've eaten." Lorelai said.

"Hilary?" Grandma asked.

"It's nice." I said.

"I would appreciate a little less attitude, Hilary." Grandma said.

"I said practically the same thing as Rory-

"I mean before. The Christmas dinner? You were so rude in-front of our guests-

"Your guests. They are your guests. You brought it up after saying i'm not so innocent like Rory, how Rory is the virgin mary and the dream Lorelai reincarnated, sorry Rory, and I'm just the scraps." I said.

"I never said that, you're being hysterical." She said.

I huffed in my chair and moved the plate  out of the way.

"Well, then, tell me about parents day, Rory." My grandmother said.

"What?" My mother asked.

My grandmother obviously read the Chilton newsletter and is going to pound of my mother for not reading it.