Chapter Twelve

"There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me."

━━ PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Leaving the school over Christmas was a stark reality check for the Slytherins, who paraded around the castle like an elite clique, only to arrive at home and put around their neck the gold-plated noose of status (or eternal imperfection) fashioned by their ever displeased parents. 

Triton Nott excelled in Potions, but his father was disgruntled by his slipping Arithmancy grades. Abraxas Malfoy was a master in the art of aristocracy, but how could his parents show him off if he wasn't the top of his class? Niklaus Rosier had perfect grades, but the only thing his mother was concerned with was when he would choose a perfect, pure-blooded wife. Orpheus Lestrange's parents were eternally terrified of his rebellious nature, after how his aunt had turned out.  

At home, they were no longer the sovereign Knights of Walpurgis, but vulnerable marionettes, made to dance for amusement on command. 

For Inkeri however, the feeling was one of unmatched excitement, as she hung by the window of the train back to London, watching the velvety black blanket of night slowly fade into an evanescent purple sunrise. She was alone in her caboose with her thoughts for a short while, until Riddle and Nott showed their faces unceremoniously. 

Nott hesitated at the door, lingering slightly. He, at least, had the decency to hesitate before intruding on a woman's privacy. Riddle had no such qualms, pushing open the door and taking a seat opposite her. 

He didn't even bother to apologize, taking out a newspaper from his small trunk. "Everywhere else is full," he said, not looking up from what he was reading, as though it justified his air of entitlement. 

Inkeri narrowed her eyes, while Nott tried not to smile. "Are you going home for Christmas, or just st-staying in London?" He spoke amicably, with the expertise of a practised conversationalist. She remembered why she had once liked him. 

"I'm going home," she said tautly, and although he kept his gaze lowered, she saw Riddle perk up slightly, an indication that he was listening. 

"Back to Norway?" Triton asked interestedly. "That will be virtually impossible through m-muggle transportation given the occupation there. I im-magine you will be using a Portkey, or something like that?" 

"Something like that," Inkeri concluded. 

"Do not bother, Nott," Riddle droned. "Koskinen has a penchant for thinking her life is so interesting that it needs to be kept secret."