Chapter 18

Recap: Matsumi and the rest of the group have received a sinister message from the Guardian Angel herself, coercing them into participating in an event known as "Hermit's Death Match".

-------------------------------------------------------------

The scene at Guardian Angel's humble abode isn't too uplifting or happening as Matsumi and his group would anticipate. The only one having fun is the hedonistic entity who rules over the hearts and minds of her subordinates .i.e the Guardian Angel herself. The one currently standing before her almighty presence is Panacea, standing with her head bowed down wearing a pink robe.
Guardian Angel: "Are you finally ready to repent for your big mistake, my sweet child? The day is today, as we had all collectively decided."
Panacea: "Absolutely your highness!"
Panacea removes her robe to reveal her body, which was completely devoid of any garments.
Guardian Angel: "It's time for you to grow stronger, my sweet Panacea. Will you survive this or succumb to weakness, my sweet one?"
Panacea: "L-L-Let me see my sons just once, your highness!"
Guardian Angel: "Really? And just what have you done to deserve that, my sweet one?"
Panacea: *sobs* "I've always obeyed you, always guarded everything and killed those who tried going against you."
Guardian Angel: "Everyone wanted you dead, except for your own sons. However, I proposed your Chimerization to them and they agreed with me - that they'll follow you if you survive and follow me if you die."
Panacea: *cries and screams* "JUST LET ME SEE MY SONS ONCE! I'M BEGGING YOU!"
Guardian Angel: "After the procedure, my child! I view both Mihai and Joseph like my own sons, the same way you do."
Panacea lays nude on a small futon provided by the Guardian Angel. The angel's hands mutate to take dreaded forms - the right one looks pure white as if coated in bright snow while the left one being black as tar. The right hand develops hook-like projections while the left one is dripping with pitch black liquid.
Guardian Angel: "May your sins be forgiven, my child!"
Outside the Guardian Angel's room, 2 Saints are standing - none other than Panacea's sons Mihai and Joseph. Interrupting them, shows up yet another saint - Hikaru.
Hikaru: "You nasty filthy kumquats! Why are you peeping in on your own mother?"
Mihai and Joseph get pissed and scared that they have been caught, however seeing who the Saint was they get extremely mad.
Joseph: "Our mother is in danger, we need to be there and do something to stop in case things get out of control."
Hikaru: *laughs* "Really? Do you wanna be given the same treatment as your mother? If not, step the fuck away and stop staring at your mommy's boobies. It's the Guardian Angel's business, not yours!"
Mihai: "And just who are you to tell anyone anything, sister-fucker?"
Hikaru gets extremely pissed.
Hikaru: "What did you just call me?"
Mihai: "Did you really think we wouldn't know?"
Mihai grabs Hikaru's collar, the latter snarling at them.
Joseph: "You tried to hatefuck your sister at one point didn't you, you sick pervert?"
Hikaru: "Your hypocrisy is pissing me off!"
Joseph: "Listen up! We've never gone so far as to touching or fantasizing about doing horrible things to our mom. If there is an incestuous creep among us, it's definitely you."
Hikaru: "You wanna settle shit right here?"
Joseph: "Oh yeah!"
And yet another voice comes from behind them, another Saint - Levian.
Levian: "Yo what's up with this fighting shit right outside Angel's office? You guys some stupid asses here!"
Hikaru: "Levian! Stay out of this."
Levian: "Yo you ain't talkin' to me like that, douchebag! Get the fuck away from the door before she sees y'all bitching and fighting."
Joseph: "Seriously?"
Levian breaks off the fight between the 3 of them. Suddenly they hear extremely loud screaming as well as crying noises, coming from the one being punished herself.
Panacea: *sobbing, screaming* "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY! I WILL NEVER EVER FAIL AGAIN! DON'T EVER ABANDON ME, MY GUARDIAN ANGEL!"
Levian: "Yo! I ain't in for this type of shit, imma run off."
Hikaru: "All the best for your nude mommy's powers, you motherfuckers!"
Mihai and Joseph are angry, Hikaru smirks and walks away as they listen through the door in despair.
Levian: "I swear, why is it always those two who are in for infighting Saints n shit?"
Hikaru: "Who cares about their Mommy Complex? My target is someone else! And I swear....I wish he had never been born, that scumbag!"
In the other room, several unpleasant noises echo alongside the screams of terror of the woman suffering.
Panacea: *screams loudly* "IT HURTS! I CAN'T DO THIS! AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"
Mihai and Joseph can do nothing except watch from a distance, drowning in despair and terror watching their mother suffer. To make things worse, Panacea's voice becomes higher pitched and more raspy as if possessed by a banshee.
Panacea: *screams, demonic voice* "OHH MY GUARDIAN ANGEL! DON'T ABANDON ME! DON'T KILL ME! LET ME SEE MY SONS JUST FOR ONE MORE TIME!"
Guardian Angel: "Mihai! Joseph! You may enter, you've peeped enough."
The sons enter, only to see a truly horrifying site. A giant serpentine shadow looms over them, dripping pitch black liquid that destroys the floor wherever it splashes.
Panacea: *demonic voice* "Mihai! Joseph! My boys, your mommy loves you."
Mihai and Joseph are beyond horrified, Joseph falls to the floor in tears while Mihai is angry.
Panacea: *demonic voice* "Don't cry Joseph! Hold your head high, your mommy will survive this."
The Guardian Angel chuckles sadistically at the entire scene to justify being the hedonist she is.
Back to the main group in the NEET'S basement, they are struggling after a Pizza Delivery gone wrong. Matsumi hasn't been doing well either.
Dan: "So the problem does exist with Matsumi being unable to do anything if he transforms as of now."
Koshiro laughs hysterically.
Chisaki: "Why do you think that's a problem? He's a shark, isn't he?"
Koshiro's laughter keeps getting louder and more obnoxious. Naomi makes signs, trying to explain while Dan translates.
Dan: "No! The problem is....he is not able to move or attack when he's on the ground. Earlier you could rely on Akihito's Floral Territorial which was like the perfect environment for the aquatic therians to fight."
Chisaki: "Oh shit! So he had a friend who could create the entire sea? Wow! That's so cool!"
Dan: "With Akihito dead, we need to find some other way to give Matsumi an advantage. We obviously cannot keep using his past trauma just to get him to fire water orbs now, can we?"
Koshiro laughs louder and louder, Matsumi sitting on the side is absolutely losing his mind.
Koshiro: "F-Flopping fish out of water BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!"
Matsumi: "KOSHIRO! DON'T YOU DARE CROSS ME LIKE....."
Before Matsumi could punch him to relieve himself of the bottled-up annoyance, Koshiro stops him using his bare hands. Dan and Naomi feel sad for the helpless Shark therian, for Matsumi has no choice but to listen since the NEET is a force to be reckoned with. However, it's evident that Koshiro isn't a heartless sadist.
Koshiro: "I know you're frustrated at being unable to fight in the condition you are now, so instead of just beating yourself up about it why don't we figure shit out for the remaining 14 days?"
Dan: "He's right!"
Chisaki: "Are we gonna figure out bringing the sea here? F***ing cool man!"
Naomi smashes the kid's head comically, creating a bump yet again.
Dan: "How many times have we told you Chisaki, no swearing!"
Chisaki: "Why do I have to listen to you? You left me alone, didn't you?"
Koshiro: "Hey hey! No infighting! If we wanna survive, we ought to stick with each other and work something out."
Matsumi: "14 days is nothing! What am I going to do? I won't survive if I'm not able to use my shark powers on the ground."
Chisaki: "A land shark? Haha! I've never seen one of them before."
Koshiro: "Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast."
Matsumi: "Slow? SLOW MY ASS! I DON'T THINK I'M GONNA GET ANY SLEEP IF I CAN'T WORK SHIT OUT."
Koshiro: "For the timebeing then, let me take the lead."
Everyone looks at him.
Matsumi: "Really? A catgirl-obsessed basement dweller?"
Koshiro: "Shut up! You loved that game just as much as I did."
Matsumi: "I-I-I mean I did but uh....."
Koshiro: "Chisaki's a little kid with unpredictable venomous tendencies, Dan is powerless for the most part but maybe his shield can be of some use, Naomi can......punch and kick I guess? But you both can somehow self-heal so I guess it's okay. And Shark-Man right here isn't suited for land combat at all."
Everyone looks at Koshiro, listening with full attention.
Koshiro: "So.....Matsumi can be useful during a crisis when there's some sort of flooding or swimming pool fight.....or a lake maybe?"
The NEET is about to giggle again, but Dan and Naomi give him a stern look causing him to go back to his serious mood.
Koshiro: "Dan and Naomi can tank up attacks from the enemies, as for Chisaki and I - we're the main driving force then. But this kid better not run off on his own, understand?"
Chisaki: "Hey! Don't order me as if you know me!"
Koshiro: "I know that you're unpredictable, that's why just stick to my side. You don't know who these scumbags are and how powerful the bigshots on their side could be, kid."
Chisaki: "What? That's not fair! Let me fight my own......"
Koshiro: "Men in rage strike those that wish them best."
Dan: "That was quite a detailed analysis.....but not so polite really."
Naomi makes hand signs, she is slightly angry.
Dan: "When we heal, we feel uncontrollable pain during the process. It's not exactly a position you wanna be in."
Koshiro: "You can just heal from every single time you're attacked, simple as that! Besides, what species are you two?"
Dan: "Beats me!"
Koshiro: "So this is how it is, Matsumi will be on standby until we're able to create or access a water-like environment. Hoping nobody has a problem with that!"
Dan: "That's harsh!"
Koshiro: "I must be cruel only to be kind."
Matsumi walks into the bathroom, washing his face. Dan follows him.
Dan: "Matsumi! Take your time, just standby while we're fighting on the frontlines."
Matsumi: "It just.....feels like.....I'm so useless now."
Dan: "No you're not! Sharks have survived since the prehistoric ages in water itself, trust me you'll survive too."
Matsumi: "It's not about surviving anymore, it's about......about....."
A voice comes from behind saying "About using your shark powers to the fullest at the sea bottom, right?"
Matsumi: "Exactly, Akihito! You understand it better......wait what?"
Dan: "Akihito again?"
Matsumi looks around, only to see nothing.
Matsumi: "I thought......I thought he was here right behind me!"
Dan: "Matsumi! I swear, take some rest and we'll figure better things out for you soon."
Matsumi: "But.....but this is the 2nd time I've heard his voice."
Naomi enters, helps Dan in calming down the hyperventilating Matsumi.
Matsumi: "Is it his ghost? Why am I hearing all this? I barely knew that seaweed man for a few days. And he was a thug even if he helped us, so....so why?"
Dan: "Akihito died right in front of you, didn't he?"
Matsumi: "Y-Y-Yeah! I-I saw it with my own eyes. He's dead! There's no way a human can tank up so many electric shocks and live."
Naomi takes him to a room, lays him on the bed and gently strokes his hair, like a mother would for her son.
Dan: *thinks* "This is bad! As if he wasn't traumatized enough, now he's seeing and hearing a dead man's voice?"
Koshiro: "Let him rest! He doesn't exactly have any way of fighting at the moment, we don't need to pressure him."
Chisaki: "Aww he gets to vacation, I wanna vacation too."
Dan: "This isn't a joke! Something's not right here, and we need to find out."
Matsumi lays in bed, closing his eyes.
Matsumi: *thinks* "Maybe it'll get better, maybe I'll figure something out. For now I should, I should try not to panic but.....it's too unsettling. Too much to handle! I can't be useless anymore, I...."
Memories of being beaten around by his mother as well as hoodlums flood his mind, he is about to enter a state of horrifying delusion.
Matsumi: *thinks* "Maybe I'll always be powerless, always! I got crushed to hell by the bat therian guy. Maybe the only reason I was able to defeat Puffer and Shinji was.....was because I....I had...."
However standing right in front of him was the silhouette of a familiar past ally .i.e Akihito, it says "Nothing is impossible, we can figure something out eh! Are you hearing me, Matsumi?"
Matsumi: "Y-Yeah! I know...."
Suddenly he wakes up from the state of delusion, startling Naomi as well.
Matsumi: "What the heck? Naomi! Um......thanks for your time, but maybe I need to be left alone now that I-I've awoken from my state of mind. Akihito is dead, isn't he? Maybe I should just accept it. Maybe I.....I'll be okay, I promise! I've never had any family for myself, yet I've been okay all along."
Naomi walks outside. She herself is in tears, sympathizing with him knowing that he's suffered a lot and it's taking an extremely negative turn on his sanity. Dan hugs her gently and looks into her eyes.
Dan: "Naomi! We can't afford to get emotional and lose ourselves right now. We are all that he has, and we need to make sure he earns his keep with his powers."
Naomi makes hand signs.
Dan: "You told me that you lost your parents as a child, didn't you? So seeing him helpless like this just hits home, is that so Naomi?"
She clings to Dan, crying softly in whispers. Koshiro and Chisaki play a catgirl game, not paying attention to either of the scenes.
Chisaki: "Hey cat-guy! What's up with all of these people and their dramas?"
Koshiro: "We have to give them their space. Matsumi needs to figure out things himself, if he's that desperate to contribute."
Chisaki: "Why can't we do something to help him fight on land?"
Koshiro: "I am not bound to please thee with my answers."
Chisaki: "This again?"
Koshiro: "If we cannot accept a proper plan based on our realistic capabilities, maybe we should split up and guarantee our survival to ourselves."

TO BE CONTINUED.........