His hand maps along your spine, from the base of your neck to the small of your back. “See, your spine might not be well aligned and it could be inhibiting your ability to breathe properly. Lying on your back will align and create proper posture and support of breath. You should practice taking deep breaths on your back to learn how to take in more air than you’re used to.”

The almost touching of his hand along your spine sent shivers all the way to your scalp, but you forced yourself to pay attention to his words. “So you think I’m not reaching that meditative state because my posture isn’t correct? And you think laying on my back will help fix that?”

“It is possible.”

“I'll be sure to try it then.” You smiled at him and he leaned back, nodding back at you. “What were you doing out here so late?”

“Just thinking.” Kazuha turned to gaze out at the sea, an endless darkness with the occasional white of the crashing waves and the glimmering stars. “Being out here is a balm to the mind, very relaxing. Good inspiration as well.”

“Inspiration for what?”

Kazuha’s lips tick up. “If there’s any subject I enjoyed while being raised as a young master, it was poetry. Now, I enjoy thinking of haikus.”

“Oh, I was never good with haikus.”

“You’re familiar?”

You nodded. “Poetry of all kinds, really. My mother used to write a lot of it and I have a close friend who enjoys it, as well as ballads, plays, stories, any kind of art honestly, though he doesn’t really paint, I’m the painter of us two, or I’ve been trying-”

A soft chuckle breaks you from your ramble and you blush lightly. “That is to say, I’m familiar with most poetry, but not as familiar with haikus. Would you tell me about them?”

Kazuha tilted his head back, his face serene as he carefully thought out his words. “Nature was seen as something beautiful, something people strived to live in harmony with, that it had a soul just as you and I do. Haikus focused on the good of nature; flowers and trees, the sunset,” he chuckled for a moment. “They strayed away from the horrors of nature, like natural disasters or plagues.”

“That sounds nice. I’ve read a lot of poetry about nature but I think it’s interesting to try and get such a profound meaning across in so little lines.”

“Beautiful as they are, it can be quite frustrating trying to find the right words.”

“Are you writing one now?”

Kazuha huffs with amused frustration. “I am, and it is quite insistent on running away from me.”

You laugh. “I’m sure you’ll catch it eventually.”

“I cannot simply catch it, it has to come to me.”

“How poetic.” You say teasingly.

Kazuha scoffs playfully. “You try it.”

“Oh no,” you wave your hand in dismissal. “My mother and my friend are the poetry writers, not me. I think I'll stick to the difficulties of painting.”

“Alright.” Kazhua shrugs. “If you think yourself unable, I won't push you.”

“Unable?” You gasped. “I’m not the best in the world but I could string a few lines together, I’m not unable!”

“Go on then, there’s plenty to take from all around us.” Kazuha waves his arm out, presenting the night sky, dotted with stars, the crashing waters that look more black than a typical beach blue, and wind, flying through the flags to give them quite the dramatic look.