Chapter 10

Upon arriving at Mr Mori's house, exhaustion finally hits me and I collapse onto the sofa near the entrance. I toss my backpack to my side and stare at it for a bit as I face the reality of how my new life shall be from now on. Then I blink and suddenly Conan appears with a serious look. 

He sits across the sofa and leans back, facing the ceiling: "So... You want to return?"

As I am astounded by his sudden appearance, I rub my eyes, decide that perhaps my drowsy self didn't realise he entered the building, and replied: "What do you mean to return? Return where?"

He sighs softly and turns his face away completely: "To your home. To your universe."

"What.?" 

My face drops and my hand sweats. 

Then I blink. 

And he vanishes.

I feel a chill down my spine and goosebumps crawling up my skin so I shuffle slightly away from my seat and more to the corner, staring at the exact spot Conan was sitting at a moment ago. Was I possibly... hallucinating?? 

A light creak from the entrance freaks me out; I jump; and snap towards the door. It's Ran. 

She gives me an awkward smile before apologising for scaring me, asking me if I'm okay since I look like I just saw a ghost.

I crack a smile and give a weak chuckle. Perhaps... My mind is playing games on me. There's no way Conan appeared and disappeared like a ghost. He's busy solving a case with Mr Mori. So I breathe. In and out. And smile. 

"How was your day Ran-oneesan?" I ask sincerely.

"It was good," she smiles warmly, "How was your first day at school?"

My smile drops as I remember the way a group of girls surrounded Conan.

"It was lovely." I lie. It's quite obvious though. Ran graciously let me spare the details.

She lets me know that she's going to get changed, do some work, and prepare for dinner. Though before she leaves, she pauses near the door, turning around to face me with a sad smile. 

"How was your sleepover with Conan-Kun? We will probably go to Agasa-Hagase in the evening after dinner."

Oh yeah. 

I open my mouth to persuade her to let me stay near Conan a little longer, stay with him a little more, and then I close my mouth. My existence is going to burden them during crime cases. Not only that, I will have to face those said crime cases. Can I mentally handle experiencing that? Not a chance. 

"It was very fun, Onee-san! Thank you for letting me stay over." I glee.

She says she's glad before taking her leave. I sigh and look down, only to notice how my hand is ever so slightly translucent. My eyes widen; I shake my hand and blink. It's normal. Not translucent. Perhaps I was hallucinating again?

A muddy feeling of fear grows in my chest as I try to convince myself I'm being weird. 

Eventually, despite the continuous heavy feeling in my heart, it was time to leave. After packing my things, which are close to nothing, I make my way downstairs to Ran and Conan waiting for me outside. 

"Are you sure you packed everything?" Ran asks so I nod. 

I turn to face Conan to see that he is already staring at me.  (??)

"uhh..? Is there something you want to say?" I mumble out hesitantly.

He jolts slightly and quickly composes himself, offering an awkward grin while shaking his head. "Nope! Not at all! Not in the slightest!" he lets out his signature fake laugh.  

Well... That's suspicious... 

I reply with a weak and an obviously fake smile before walking away with Ran-oneesan. He quickly jogs to catch up to us before walking beside me and stealing glances at me from time to time. 

I purse my lips before whispering to Conan: "What is it?" 

He whispers back with hesitation: "You alright?"

"What do you mean?" I mumble out, frowning.

"Well... Is something bothering you?"

My mouth opens to let him know I'm fine but deep down, in all honesty, I'm hesitant to say anything because I'm not so sure what to tell him.

Oh, I've been having hallucinations ever since I teleported to your universe, also I'm not meant to be in this world, and in addition, I've fallen in love with you so I don't want to be away from you but I know living with Agasa-Hagase is for the best?

He suddenly grabs my hand. His grip is with certainty, so it makes my heart race. Ah. He held it because I hadn't replied to his question. Oops.

Conan looks at me with determination and seriousness: "You don't have to tell me. But be sure that Agasa-Hagase is a good man. He's... unique but you don't have to be afraid."

My face drops so I quickly form a smile. He's so off. 

"Thank you, Conan-kun." I smile.

He blankly looks at me and blinks a billion times before giving me his signature grin. 

A soft chuckle from Ran makes me look up at her. She gives me a teasing grin. My face dusts pink. And then guilt settles in. This is her place. Eventually, I shake my head and try to ignore the heavy feeling of guilt. She'll get her place back eventually anyway. 

As I was too busy focusing on my emotions, I never noticed how Conan tried to hide his warm cheeks from me. 

-----

Hey guys! It's been a long while... 

I'm really sorry for the slow updates.

Life has thrown a lot of turbulences at me so it's been quite chaotic on my end..😓

I'll try my best to find a way to fit time in writing this since the chapters are quite short but I don't want to promise anything in case things don't work out. 

Please feel free to correct my mistakes or offer any writing advice. 

Thank you to everyone who gave even a second for this book! It means the world to me knowing that this brings at least the tiniest drop of joy to many of you guys. 

Hope you guys have a nice day!