one. STRIKE FIRST

September 21st, 2008.

A little boy with blonde hair and a bright pearly smile was sitting at his coat cubby getting ready for recess. His brother and his friends had asked him to play soccer, which seemed like the most exciting thing in the world to the little second grader. After fastening his velcro tight, Christopher set out for the field beside the playground.

"Chris! You're on my team!" A boy with slightly darker hair and green eyes waved him over. He held the soccer ball at his side while two other kids, seemingly taller and chubbier than Chris and his brother rocked on their heels waiting on the blonde's arrival.

"I call goalie!" Chris stuck his hand up excitedly. He always forgot to call it first.

"That's not fair." His brother argued, while the two friends went to set up their 'net'.

"Robby, you're always goalie! Give me one time." Chris begged, exaggerating his point with his hands.

"Fine. But if you let them score, we're switching." Robby warned, jogging over to the center of the field. Chris did a celebratory 'woot woot!' before he took off his shoes and placed them 5 feet apart from each other. (Technically less than that, since he was only 6 and his feet were definitely not 12 inches.) Goalies always played in their socks.

"Let the games

"Let the games.... begin!" After seeing that Chris was ready to start, Robby had drop the ball onto the ground. He was pretty good at controlling the ball, but since the four kids always played together, so was the friend he was up against. The kid stole the ball from between Robby's legs and raced back to Chris's end, who's head piped up when he saw someone running at him. Getting ready to block the ball, Chris put his hands up, but it never came. Instead, the ball flew way off to the side, rolling all the way to the fenceline.

"What the heck was that!?" Robby called to him, as the four boys watched the ball grow farther and farther.

"Uh- i'll get it." Chris gave them all a quick thumbs up, before running after the soccer ball. He was always the one to do things like this, since his birthday was so late in the year that he was the youngest. It made him feel inferior.

After catching up to the ball, he saw a blonde girl sitting with her legs straight out in the grass, holding the soccer ball with a saddened expression.