Silver and gold. (5)

Start from the beginning

"I wouldn't pay for those ugly shoes anyway. Why were your shoes on inside? That's rude, willy." Efia rolled her eyes at William's nasty comment, trying to ignore how deep his green eyes were.

"Rude? They're just shoes." William blinked a little, his mother never told him to take his shoes off at home. As long as they weren't dirty, he could run around the whole of Raycroft Manor with shoes on and no one would bat an eye.

"If you were a Ghanaian child you'd have been slapped for the comment." Efia laughed thinking of William Raycroft's face if her mum, Abena, had given him a dirty slap. He'd be infuriated in that way were his knuckles go white and his cheeks flushed pink.

"Your mum's going to slap you when she sees that photo of us, I bet. You look blissed out, like you were melting in my arms." Their faces were so close together that the small hint of a mocking smile on William's face made the impact of his words worse, because he was right. By the time she went to see her parents tonight they would've see those pictures and be horrified at their daughter's behaviour.

William, seeing in Efia's eyes what was genuine distress, bit his tongue. He was equal parts pleased and ashamed, an apology danced on the tip of his tongue when his ring tone shocked them both out of the heated, angry, tension of their staring battle.

"It's my mum." William sounded like he was about to crap his pants-- earning a little smile from Efia.

"Well answer it." Efia furrowed her eyebrows as William took a steadying breath in a picked up the call. Mrs Evelyn Raycroft was not an easy woman, although lax about shoes in the house, she ran their household like the navy-- it was her who made William care so deeply about his academics, instilling within him a constant desire t succeed in everything, even relationships. So when every girlfriend he ever had ended up heart-broken, she found herself worried he would fall into the life of a bachelor who thought with his cock. She had been ecstatic when she saw the news on social media from her assistant, if not a little angry he hadn't told her yet! She was a bit scandalised by the position they had been in...but she couldn't spite young love.

"Hello...mummy." William smiled at the sound of his mother's voice, she didn't seem angry, that was good, she was finally going to get off his back for a while. His heart sunk thinking of the day he would have to end this fake engagement and the verbal lashings he would recieve.

"William! You're a hooligan! Is she there with you? Efia is the name, is it not? Put me on speaker now!" Mrs Raycroft was angry that William hadn't immediately thought to turn the camera on. William gave a "god bless your soul" look to Efia as he handed her his phone like a hot potato. His mother was going to ramble on and on to Efia, he had to keep the two women apart physically long enough for them to get their story straight.

"Hello, Mrs Raycroft, it's lovely to meet you!" Efia voice was smooth and her pink acrylics were like an extra casing to William's plain black phonecase. He leaned back, hands behind him, on Efia's bed--trying to think of what to do if his mother ended up liking Efia too much.

"Oh darling, do me a favour and turn the camera on, I need to see something." Mrs Raycroft had one of those British accents where you feel like you're chatting with a Victorian noblewoman. Efia flicked some hair out of her face as she pressed the camera option on the Iphone 15.

"Thank God, you're not ugly! I couldn't quite see you in those pictures, dear! How adorable!" Mrs Raycroft's comment shocked both William and Efia, why she had even thought Efia would be ugly was a little poke to the  girl's confidence. 

"Mummy, don't be like that." William spoke loud enough fr his mother to here is discontent, although it was a little funny to watch Efia struggle to keep a smile on her face, he didn't like that type of struggle being generated by anyone else; she was his enemy. Only his.